My dog darts away from me...

Sam KeySam Key Posts: 56Member
Sometimes I walk my dog off-leash, and he is pretty well behaved for the most part. That is until I try to approach him with my hands, say, to put his leash back on. He will immediately dart away from me when I do this, even though he walks by my side most of the time anyways. It's really frustrating when he does this because I am usually trying to grab him to avoid a dangerous situation. Plus, I know he is just doing it to be playful. What can I do to correct this?

Best Answers

• Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    When you grab him to avoid dangerous situations, is it like grabbing a firm hold of his collar, something that might be uncomfortable for him? It sounds to me like he knows that being grabbed when off leash means something uncomfortable or un-fun (like being leashed again) is going to happen, to he runs off because he's not ready for the fun to stop yet. I would work on desensitizing him. Randomly just go up and touch his neck / grab his collar but then immediately let go again and praise him. Call him to you, touch him, and then toss a ball as a reward. That way, he learns that touch does not always equal the fun ending, it's just something you do.
  • stef andstef and LemesosPosts: 1,132Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Abby.You dog has combined the action of grabbing it with something that he doesn't wish to happen to him.You can avoid that by calling him, giving him a treat when he comes to you and playing with his favourite toy or petting him.Then you can put his leash on his collar. In that way he will combine the action of coming to you with the treat or being petted.
  • Vivian AbelloVivian Abello West Palm Beach, FLPosts: 418Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would work on perfecting or teaching his heel/sit command. Using treats and repetition get him to sit on command. This way when you can ask him to sit when in a dangerous situation or when you need to leash him up and he will stop and sit. Make sure you calmly approach him when he is sitting. Practice doing this in a controlled environment like in your yard or in the house until he does it right. It worked for my Poodle. When we are at the beach and he gets a little excited to go up to people I just say sit and he does. I can approach him or leave him there and he will behave until I say release.
  • Accepted Answer
    At home, teach him that your side is the funnest place to be! Whenever he comes to you, follows you, or walks beside you on his own, offer him a tiny treat or give him a good scratch behind the ears. You don't have to teach it in command form at first. Just let him learn that when he is close by you, he gets lovin's or a tasty cookie! Soon he probably won't want to leave your side (*cough**cough* LARKA *cough**cough*) BOL.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Until he always comes whenever you call 100% of the time, always use a leash in public. Work on the recall. Practice it in a large fenced area. Always reward him for coming. Never call him to you for punishment, as that will make him like coming less. Don't run after him when you call and he doesn't come. He will treat that like a game of hard to get. Just encourage him to come. Use something that he really likes as a lure. Use a calm voice. Remain calm. If you ever get frustrated during training sessions, it is time to rest. And remember, several 5 minute training sessions a day is more effective than one long 30 minute training session in a day.
  • Erin DeVeberErin DeVeber London / UWO areaPosts: 373Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree that you need to work on a reliable command so this is not a problem. In the meantime, I have a weird tip for you. Try it out a couple of times to see if it works with Charlie. If you are in a dangerous situation and you do not trust him to come to you when you call or grab him, flail your arms in the air, scream, and run away from him. Weird? Yes, but it might avert a disaster. Note that I do not know how this will work since Charlie is a herding breed. I have always had hunting dogs and because of their srtong prey drive, they chase me every time. Good luck!