How can I train my one year old golden retriever to walk beside me.

She gets too excited and it is imposible to walk her. Doesn´t pay attention to my orders as she doesnt focus. Is she still too small?

Best Answers

• Alex OAlex O Posts: 175Member
    Accepted Answer
    A dog is never too young to start obedience. Ideally, dogs are enrolled in puppy obedience classes well before they reach one year old. Classes help get them socialized as well as teach them the fundamentals of obedience, which include focusing on you and loose leash walking. So my advice is sign up for a class or hire a trainer to work with you and your dog. A high energy breed like a golden does well with constant training for mental stimulation. I highly recommend positive reinforcement training, which will make you a great motivator so that your dog will be looking for ways to please you. If you want to try working on your own first, take treats on walks. Hold the leash in your right hand and the treats in your left down by your leg where you want her. Treat her when she's where you want her. There isn't enough space here for lots of details. Research clicker training. Also, Asher has a good video on loose leash walking. http://www.dogster.com/dogs/418007/in/stroll/
  • Laura ShermanLaura Sherman Corona/Norco/Dog Park-BeachPosts: 834Member
    Accepted Answer
    Not too young to start learning. Another trick to try is when she pulls out away from you - out in front - pivot and turn in the opposite direction and walk in the opposite direction. The dog should get a good yank on the collar for this to "sink in". You'll have to do this few times before it sinks in though. Also, praise her when she is walking next to you like you want her to. Classes too -- like the other poster -- sign up for classes! Good Luck!
  • Judy MurdochJudy Murdoch Northern Lower MichiganPosts: 8,717Member
    Accepted Answer
    Basic Obedience Class. Skip the puppy class. In the meantime, raise your expectaions. She is not to young to learn to behave herself. You're lucky she from a trainable breed. Practice sit and walking nicely in the house before you go out. When you do go out, if she pulls, stop (be a tree).When she steps back to take the pressure off the collar, reward her and continue. Your neighbor's will be concerned over your sanity when they see you stopping and starting, but it works.
  • Stacy Braslau-SchneckStacy Braslau-Schneck San JosePosts: 32Member
    Accepted Answer
    My mom's a dog trainer so I asked her and she said: "If you're frustrated, try a front-clip harness like the Easy Walk. Then get out a load of great treats. Use a marker signal like a clicker or a word like "Yes!" and mark every moment when your dog is walking at your side. Just after you mark, offer your dog a treat, holding it right at your side (along your pants seam). Practice off-leash in a safe place (inside or in your yard), then on-leash in that same place, then go out into the big, distracting world to practice. Remember to keep YOUR end of the leash loose if possible - if your dog gets too far away, back up until you get the dog to turn, then take a step forward to 'reset' your dog into the right position, and immediately start rewarding that. "This is a super-simplified advice for one of the most difficult ordinary behaviors to train! A basic training class or certified professional dog trainer can help you greatly." Good luck!
  • catherine singelsethercatherine singelsether Posts: 13Member
    Accepted Answer
    goldens are energetic and easily distracted and people confuse that with stupidity. goldens are NOT stupid they are just very lively. I see people put prong collars on them and they are not suited for the breed, who have sensitive skin and relatively thin coat. I echo the sentiments of others who say walk the dog at your side and use treats. be firm and patient. throw out that stupid flexi if you have one because it encourages the dog to roam. a gentle leader or other training aid works, but you have to teach the dog to respond to it, it doesn't work on its own and if you just put a device on a dog and it physically doesn't adjust to it, you can have health issues, like a strained neck from the leader - or neck wounds from continued pulling on a prong collar or other device. make sure your dog has sufficient exercise so it doesn't go crazy on the leash and confuse walking with exercise/outdoor fun time. be consistent, and you'll see results.