parents signed a paper saying it was ok to have the dog around there daughter I do not know why but

I own a day care and I have taken care of this child for over a year I have had a dog around the children always for some reason my dog bit this girl and punctured her in the cheek she needed surgery the parents signed a form stating it was ok that the dog be around her I was present all times with the dog and children and dog to save them both from harm but, this day he bit why I do noy know can they sue me for any thing besides my insurance for dr. bills

Best Answers

• Judy MurdochJudy Murdoch Northern Lower MichiganPosts: 8,717Member
    Accepted Answer
    Her Dr bills and pain and suffering money for the victim, plus payment for the time the parents needed to take off from work. Your insurance company may want you get rid of the dog to stay insured, or the dog may have one more chance. It depends on the company. I'm sorry this has happened. My personal thoughts are to keep the dog if this was an isolated incident, but, if not, a dog that bites cannot be around children.
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    It's nice that your paper said it was okay for the dog to be around the child - but what does it say about possible liability or damages in case of a dog bite or other injury? If it says nothing about that, then it's just a worthless piece of paper and you (or your homeowner's insurance / daycare insurance) are liable to pay for the doctors' bills, pain and suffering, and who knows what else. If you were "present at all times", then you should have seen the warning signs from your dog that s/he was getting uncomfortable or bothered by the child and should have separated them before the dog felt he/she had to defend him/herself.