My 7-y-old male Rott was diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago. My vet started him on 23 units of Hum

S- M-S- M- Posts: 11Member
that caused his glucose to go dangerously low. Thru trial & error, we found that 6 units worked, then it went to 8 units, and so on. We are now at 20 units to keep his glucose under control. Is it normal to have that kind of ramp up? I'm not yet to my vet's original dosage rec, but getting there. The vet put him on Hills W/D (the ingredients of which look terrible, but not sure what else to do), so that's supposed to help, right?

Best Answer

• Judy MurdochJudy Murdoch Northern Lower MichiganPosts: 8,717Member
    Accepted Answer
    The ramping up is normal with humans until they are stabilized. I haven't seen a bag of SD W/D,but I've never seen a bag of SD that wasn't loaded with corn. Corn is a starch. Starch turns to sugar in your body. Not a good idea. I would think think something grain free like Taste Of The Wild would be better. Even then you'll run into potatoes, but they will assimilate much more slowly than corn. Dogs are carnivores. He needs meat. Why don't you go to 'forums' and post in 'dog health', 'dog nutrition' and 'raw feeding' to see if there is someone there who can help you. If you put 'diabetes' in the search box, other posts about the subject will come up. When you find one that asks what you want ot know, click on the question to see all the posts. Good luck. My daughter's ACD lived years with it - even ended up going off his insulin.