I purchased Spike from a pet store in MA for 2000.00. The pet store said he was a purebred and regis

I purchased Spike from a pet store in MA for 2000.00. The pet store said he was a purebred and registered to NKC and gave me paperwork with the breaders registration information. Since then I've tried locating the breader and have been unsucessful. I spoke with the vet and he stated that a breader out of MO, especially Golden City MO is probably a puppy mill. Anyone else run into this and/or have any suggestions...was i ripped off 2k for a mutt is a lot of money...don't get me wrong he's not going back but i want the "TRUTH"

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    I just looked it up for you online and it said that it was a puppy mill in virginia and they ship dogs al around the world.
  • Kristyn LuksKristyn Luks Posts: 32,266Member
    Accepted Answer
    They said that Ziggy was from a breeder too and they gave us "papers," and I searched the kennel that he was from and they said it was a puppy mill that was shut down because of the poor conditions that they left the dogs in. You can't believe the pet stores.
  • Accepted Answer
    When you buy a puppy from a pet store, 99% of the time it will be a puppy mill dog. He doesn't look like a purebred American Bulldog to me- but that's just IMHO. He is cute though and now he is in a good home. That's all that matters!
  • Accepted Answer
    I am sorry you had to learn the hard way!...& OUCH!...That was a lot of money....Next time start by contacting the breed parent club to find a responsible breeder...You could have gotten a well bred dog with a 3 generation champion pedigree for that much! Spike is a darling though as is my Samson who definitely is not a well bred Pyr! (He is my heart though...Don't tell the others...lol!)
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Looks purebred to me. Only bad breeders sell to pet stores. No offense, most people don't know that. He looks like a great dog, like all dogs. More info at my website: cookiemiller.tripod.com
  • Jessica BondJessica Bond Traverse CityPosts: 1,685Member
    Accepted Answer
    I hate to tell you, but $2,000 even for a purebred is insane to me. You could have easily gotten a purebred puppy from a shelter for $200. Next time, check out your shelters first and do a little research.
  • Sandi MahanaSandi Mahana Visalia, CAPosts: 4,011Member
    Accepted Answer
    I will never buy a dog from a pet store or support a store that sells puppies. Try googling the name of the breeder that he came from. If that doesn't yield anything then see if there's any kind of contact information on the paper work. That's about the only thing I can think of. Since he did come from a pet store he probably is a puppy mill dog. Here's a link to the HSUS puppy mill site where you can tell them if you bought from a puppy mill http://stoppuppymills.org/forms/tell_us_your_story.html
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm very sorry that you ended up learning things the hard way. You, like thousands of other people buying "registered" dogs from pet stores, have been ripped off. No reputable dog breeder would ever sell a puppy through any pet store. Reputable breeders don't believe a puppy should go to anyone walking into the store with cash or a Visa card - they want to interview buyers, ask for references. Some may even require you to send them updates and go to classes, in their contract! The ONLY reputable American dog registry is the American Kennel Club (AKC). Any other registries providing "papers", such as the NKC, the Continental Kennel Club (CKC), etc. are not reputable registries. They simply provide "papers" so stores and breeders can make people think they're getting a quality "papered" dog. AKC registered purebred puppies of most breeds sell on average for between $500 and $1500 from reputable, quality breeders, depending on their lines.