Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

How can i deal with the loss of my dog/bestfriend?

Betsy RamirezBetsy Ramirez Houston, Texas!Posts: 12Member
my puppy died this morning and im still in shock, my stomach hurts like crazy and i dont feel like talking to anyone. he was really sick before he died and i did everything could to make him better, i felt like a could of done more to help him, or maybe its just me. he was my bestfriend and baby, now he's not here anymore, how can i deal with this pain?... R.I.P. Mickey

Best Answers

• Vivian AbelloVivian Abello West Palm Beach, FLPosts: 418Member
    Accepted Answer
    How did he die? He is very young to have died, what happened? Did you contact the breeder you got him from. They should know about any illness and you should have gotten a heath guarantee. That is really horrible, I'm so sorry that has happened to you. He was way to young. Next time you get a dog, go to a very qualified, reputable, recommended breeder. It will make a difference and ensure this never happens again. Sorry for your loss.
  • Accepted Answer
    You say you did everything to make him better. Did you take him to a vet? What was wrong with him. You can go into the forums and post unter support, there are alot of nice people there that helped me get through the death of Charley. I'd rather post on there then here cause there you can post over and over and answer people that ask questions like me and Cooper
  • Catherine PippinCatherine Pippin roanokePosts: 406Member
    Accepted Answer
    Did you say it was Pancreatitus? Im So sorry for your loss, I do feal like the breeder should be held responsible. My Ginger came from a bad breeder and we are still holding our breath a year later.
  • Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / AlaskaPosts: 863Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry to hear about your little guy :( The loss of a pet is always difficult to deal with because they do become like your children and best friend, and when they are gone, you feel like a part of you is as well. Don't ever blame yourself for anything that happened with your dog's illness or death. You, as a loving dog owner, did everything in YOUR power to save him, and often times, we just cannot. It is okay to feel the way you are feeling, and you should feel all of those things. It's alright to not want to talk about it either, but you do need to go through the grieving process so you are able to somewhat move on. You will always remember him, but try to remember the positive things about him, before he was sick, and all of the fun things you did together. It often helps to, eventually (when you're ready) to bring a new friend into your life. Taking care of another animal often helps the grieving process because you now have a new responsibility and you cannot dwell on the past. Keep busy, and please, don't ever hesitate to message me if you need to.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaPosts: 1,381Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am so very sorry for your loss. Mickey is adorable and you obviously loved him so much. It is so heartbreaking to lose a family member. You wrote that this just happened this morning- you must be devastated. Guilt is a very normal feeling among many that you may feel. Please allow yourself to grieve. People grieve in different ways. When you are ready, it might be helpful to talk about Mickey, what happened, and your feelings with a close friend or family member. Others find comfort in writing (journals, poems, letters). When I lost my Sally, I wrote letters to her. Although I cried while I wrote them, it helped me to write down how I felt and tell her everything I wanted to tell her and didn't get the chance. There are support groups here on Dogster. Rainbow Bridge Angel Babies offers lots of support. There are also websites like www.petloss.com that can offer support. I know the heartbreak you are going through. I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet puppy.
  • Anne CulpepperAnne Culpepper Huntington Beach, CaliforniaPosts: 17,180Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm so sorry. I know when I lost my little Lexi I was heartbroken. I spent a lot of time on petloss.com and rainbowbridge.com. I talked to other grieving people and it helped me a lot. Later, I was able to get another dog and start volunteering for a rescue organization, where I've done fostering. Good luck, and take care of yourself.