How can we walk our dog properly on his leash?

My Beagle is 1 years old and while we did not train him properly in the beginning to walk on a leash we are trying now. We are trying to use some techniques seen on the dog whisper with no success. of course he is a scent dog so it seems that when he is walking his nose is on the ground and he is just going as fast as he can to follow the scent. We can't seem to get his head up and have him walk by our side. We keep putting the collar up high and pulling on the leash whenever he gets away from us but he is so into the scents in front of him that he can't focus on anything else. Should we be giving him activities to do at home to relieve his need to follow scents? What can we do to help him walk properly on his leash?

Best Answers

• Whitney LWhitney L AustinPosts: 674Member
    Accepted Answer
    A good motivator when a dog is behaving in a way you don't like is to take away what they see as a reward. In the case of walks, the reward is continuing the walk. Therefore, every time your dog pulls you you should simply stop the walk and wait him out. Don't say anything, just 'be a tree'. Ideally he will realize you have stopped and come back to check in with you. Once the tension has left the leash and he has come back to your side you can resume your walk. It is very important that 1) you are 100% consistent with not rewarding the pulling and 2) you make it clear that he is doing the right thing by coming back to your side. An alternative to the 'be a tree' method is to abruptly change directions once your dog starts to pull ahead. He will reach the end of the leash and have no choice but to follow you, and once he is by your side you can heavily reward with treats and praise. By frequently changing direction your dog will learn he has to pay attention to you on his walks
  • Lori Cameron JacobsLori Cameron Jacobs Posts: 4Member
    Accepted Answer
    You mentioned the Dog Whisperer techniques: I bought the Illusion Collar for my German Shepherd which has helped to control him. It keeps the choker part of the collar in place high on the neck. When he puts his nose down I just pull up on the leash. Cesar does say if you can control the nose you control like 60% of the brain. There was one episode on a beagle who was constantly sniffing and whining. You might try using a backpack also during the walk to intensify the exercise. I would check with vet maybe to see how much weight though. He advised them to master the walk but also introduced game where the dog could use his nose. It was to put one of his toys in a box and lead him to sniff it out and find it. You might also hide treats around the yard for him to find? Just some thoughts..
  • Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / AlaskaPosts: 863Member
    Accepted Answer
    If you are letting him continue to pull and pull and sniff, then you aren't doing anything to help him at all. You are not influencing his brain, so he is going to continue to do what he wants. If he begins to sniff, pull on the leash firmly and tell him 'hey' or whatever word you would use to get him to focus on you. Get his attention. Bring food with you, if you must, so that he can follow the scent of that, which ultimately leads to you and his attention being placed on you instead of other objects. Once you have his attention with the food, ask him to sit, or do a command, and then give him the treat. Reward him for focusing on you. He will then learn what your command means (I use 'hey', but whatever word is more comfortable for you) so if he is sniffing, and you are without treats, you can utilize the command and he will respond to you and realize that what he was doing is unwanted from you. With dogs like Beagles, their ability to smell often overpowers their brain, so brining food with you will help you in making him focus on you during the walks instead of other things. Keep the walks short at first. Get his attention a few times, and then head home. Maybe you just walk a few houses down - keeping it simple will distinguish the difference between what you want him to do as opposed to what he is now doing. Best of luck. Please message me if you have other questions.
  • Rebecca LandonRebecca Landon Posts: 5,368Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the above. Also try putting a small backpack on him:)