I want a Border Collie, but I really don't know it's the right for me. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sabrina WyantSabrina Wyant DallasPosts: 4,435Member
Hello, I have a 5 year old standard poodle who gets along with everyone, a 7 year old chihuahua, a 2 year old chihuahua, and one chihuahua that is 8 months old. I need to know how much energy they have, and if they dig, and how smart they are. Please help! Also, I don't want them fighting with my other dogs. I don't want anything to cause problems. Thank you so much, and I hope to hear from you!!!!

Best Answers

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 114,765Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hello.First of all border collies go well with every dogs that want to have fun.You have 4 dogs,do you really have time for a border collie?They need a lot of attention and time .If you don't give him the attention he need you border collie can turn into a monster and eat your furniture(like all dogs can do if it feel neglect).A border collie will take a lot of your time ,It's a dog with a lot of energy .they can dig but it's easy to stop.They are extremely smart and will suprise you every day if they are stimulate to use there brains.I know i live with 3 border collies and my life is everything but boring.(go to a dog park to be close to them and see how they are).
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    If I were in your position, I would not bring a Border Collie into your home. It sounds like you already have your hands full with four dogs who, for the most part, are quite young, and frankly, I would wonder how much individual time, training, and activities you're able to do with 4 dogs, let alone 5. Border Collies in general are extremely energetic and intelligent, and they require exercise and mental stimulation daily. Border Collies do best if they have a job or sport to go into, like herding, competitive obedience, agility, etc. All of those require a big commitment of time and energy from their owner.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Border Collies are very high energy (think Jack Russell-like energy) and can be destructive if bored. That includes digging, tearing things up, etc. Which is why BCs NEED an active owner who can provide the dog with a job. They are generally smart and pretty easy to train. Just what I read about them.
  • Jennifer CaldwellJennifer Caldwell Posts: 1,686Member
    Accepted Answer
    I've never owned a Border Collie, but lots of people here do (we have lots of farms and they are popular farm dogs). What I have seen is that they are VERY high energy and need something to do. The ones that don't have a "job" get bored and then become aggressive and/or destructive. Most get along well with other dogs, but a few don't. Some get along with other dogs in the house but are very protective and do not like strange dogs on their property. They are very intelligent and learn quickly. If you really want a well-behaved Border Collie, you need to have plenty of time for exercise - at least 2 hours of exercise or "work" (not just letting them loose in the yard) every day. If you have livestock to herd, or you have time for agility or other dog sports and lots of exercise, they are fantastic dogs. If you want a dog that will go for nice short walks and then sit and watch television with you, this is probably not the best choice. If they are bored, digging is a possibility.
  • Allie LumAllie Lum TorontoPosts: 1,587Member
    Accepted Answer
    Border Collies are really good dogs, however, they need tons of mental and physical stimulation for them to be happy. They are VERY high energy dogs and can dig when bored. True, they are really smart dogs, but if not given the sufficient amount of exercise can become hyperactive barkers. Border Collies were not breed to be companion dogs, but hard working sheep herders. I suggest that if you do not own a farm, or a flock of sheep, to not purchase a Border Collie, it is not enough to just give them the run of the yard. If they live in the city they will be miserable and annoying. They are what we call: Workaholics. If they are not constantly given jobs to do( ex: Guard the flock, guard the house, etc...) they will not be happy. Even though they are EXTREMLY cute, they are not the dog for everyone.