Would you recommend a pinch collar?

Jason MorganJason Morgan Los AngelesPosts: 6Member
I have a 7 month old yellow Lab that pulls alot around other dog/sometimes people when he gets excited. We've had some puppy training, but everyone tells us a pinch collar will calm him down - any thoughts?

Best Answers

• Andrea HowellAndrea Howell Hood RiverPosts: 648Member
    Accepted Answer
    A pinch collar will NOT stop your dog from pulling. I know TONS of dogs that will pull pull pull no matter WHAT collar they have on to the point they choke themselves and have to stop to cough for 5 minutes from pulling so hard-Pinch collar or not! the trend now-a-days seems to be leaning more towards "EZ-Walk" harnesses that attach where a normal harness does but the leash clip is in the front of the chest. When the dog pulls it actually turns him away from the direction he wants to pull in. This equipment of course should be accompanied by some loose leash training with the harness so he knows whats expected of him. (You may have gone over that in Puppy Class). Other than that for SUPER SUPER STRONG CONSTANT PULLERS there are the Halti type leads which go over the dogs muzzle and behind their head. This works by pulling the dogs head (and thus the body follows) away from the object. You can cause harm to the dog if you jerk on this kind of harness though but either work really good.
  • Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / AlaskaPosts: 863Member
    Accepted Answer
    It can help, yes, but only if you know how to properly use it. Any device will assist you as long as you understand how to use it. It isn't going to calm him down, no, but it will offer more control for you, which in turn, would help you. How often do you take him out for walks? He needs to be out every day so that he can burn off excess energy, so if you are only taking him out every so often, then he isn't going to get calmer, and the collar won't help you at all. What are you currently using with him? What do you do when he gets excited and pulls? If he keeps pulling, don't hold tight because you are only encouraging him to pull - resistance CAUSES a dog to pull - this is why so many people have dogs that pull because they don't understand how to teach them not to. If he starts to pull, pull firmly on the leash and tell him 'no'. Make him stand next to you, quietly. If he will, ask him to sit or lay down - I always prefer laying down as sometimes 'sit' can actually cause more anxiety as in some dogs, it can create a lunging affect that we don't want. If he still gets too excited, make him turn around and have his back facing the other dog. Sometimes face-to-face greetings can cause different behaviors that we don't want - in some dogs it's anxiety, and in others it's aggression. I never recommend letting dogs meet face-to-face as this is a challenge amongst dogs. Sorry for all of the info here, but I am not too sure on your exact situation and wanted to offer some different types of guidance. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
  • Rebecca LandonRebecca Landon Posts: 5,368Member
    Accepted Answer
    We used a pinch collar as a TRAINING AID with Bam-Bam. It is not a cure, and it is not the end of the process. You still have to continue teaching him to focus on you and walk properly, but if used properly, this is a great TRAINING AID!
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    I hear it works on some dogs and not so much on others. I personally wouldn't recommend it.
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    This behavior is normal for a 7 months old Labrador. It's going to get better over time, regardless of what collar you use, if you keep working on it and train him not to pull. Training should first take place with few distractions, since you want him to focus on you and learn to walk nicely. This is best done using treats or toy rewards and a simple flat collar. A training collar can be a big help, but the collar itself will not calm your dog down or make him stop pulling. It has to be used with training and you have to time your corrections and still use rewards and praise. A pinch/prong collar is a good solution for a large, strong dog. You can also try a head halter or front-clip body harness. Personally, I would use the front-clip harness or prong before I would try a head halter (I'll be happy to explain why). It's necessary that you have someone experienced show you how to fit and use them properly, though - a trainer, NOT a pet shop employee!
  • Jayj GJayj G BlancoPosts: 1,218Member
    Accepted Answer
    Pinch collars are BAD, not only do they rarely work, they also break the dogs trust in you! I would recommend using positive methods. Its a little more work, but it works in the long run, your dog is more likely to be better behaved. Try using a clicker and treats, your dog will love it! As opposed to a pinch collar will at best have little or no effect, or at worst, damage your relationship with your dog and cause him injury!