How can I stop my 7 month old pup from becoming an immovable object on walks?

Jason MorganJason Morgan Los AngelesPosts: 6Member
My 7 month old yellow lab is great when we take him to an off-leash park and walks along nicely with us, but when he's on-leash in our neighbouring streets if he sees another dog he'll immediately sit down and become an immovable object. We've tried commands, treats, almost dragging him along (which can't be good for him and makes us feel like mean owners), He's got a great friendly disposition, but can also be nervy in the dark early mornings/late night walks and as well as other dogs, sometimes will sit if he sees another person/squirrel/bird/movement of any kind. It doesn't seem an aggressive thing, sometimes when they get closer he wants to play or he'll just continue lying there. Any ideas how to entice him along? I think that a 2nd round of training may be in order.

Best Answers

• Latavia WilliamsLatavia Williams White PlainsPosts: 1,157Member
    Accepted Answer
    He's still a puppy and may not be used to things that he thinks are abnormal. Sounds like he may need another round of leash training. I can't believe the treats aren't working. That is motivation for any dog! Just give him a little more time to adjust and get used to things. By all means, do not drag him. This is only making the situation worse.
  • A HA H Posts: 818Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hello Cooper. I'd love to give you a big bear hug! I've been looking for tips on raising puppies myself and found a good book that taught me about "signals" that dog give. It's by Turid Rugaas, On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals, Second Edition (2006). A dog that sits on a walk when a dog is sending a non-aggressive signal to the approaching dog. Maybe he's unsure. The book says laying down is an even stronger signal. Have you tried to treat and praise Cooper before he sits (or gets in the zone) when he sees strange dogs? If you can get ahead of his reaction to sit, you'll be rewarding the behavior you want (standing). Maybe Cooper thinks something is wrong when you pull him. Try to keep the lead loose and the tone of voice happy, so he doesn't sense any worry traveling down the leash. For the treats, make them good treats (e.g. hot dog bits), just need to be better than everyday kibble. It does not sound to me like an aggressive response.
  • Michelle KehrbergMichelle Kehrberg Posts: 224Member
    Accepted Answer
    Try to lure him with his favorite toy, this worked well for my yellow lab, Dexter, who did the same darn thing-I think it is a Lab thing. While the breed is very smart, the puppies are notoriously "forgetful" until they are anywhere between 1 and 3! You may have to use the leash occasionally just to remind him of what he is supposed to do. They are also used with great success in bird hunting and he may be showing you that something is there-kind of like Pointers do-especially if he has seen other dogs and/or his parents use this type of behavior. It may also be submissive posturing. He may be showing the other animal, person, whatever that he is not a threat.
  • Brenda HerbertBrenda Herbert Niagara FallsPosts: 6Member
    Accepted Answer
    Get a halty it helps alot we use it with Allie and it works for her alot