need help with potty issue

My wife and I brought home a new dog from the adoption center today. He is a 3 year old chihuahua mix. I have taken him out twice so far and he has pooped each time, but won't pee. When we brought him back in, after a while my wife caught him trying to pee in a corner. The people at the shelter said he is housebroken. I am worried he was taught to use newspaper or a pad for pee. How can I get him to pee outside as well as poop?

Best Answers

• Tamika SaundersTamika Saunders Posts: 503Member
    Accepted Answer
    He may be housebroken but he is getting used to his new environment. In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to crate train him until he adjusts to his new home.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    Like I have said many times on here, watch him like a hawk, never let him out of your sight. When you catch him about to pee, a firm "NO" will stop him from peeing and immediately take him outside. When he does poop or pee outside, treat and praise like crazy. You need to catch him before he goes or like I said even in the middle of going. If you happen to find a mess, simply clean it up and ignore it, this would be your fault and just keep a better watch on him. I find sometimes shelter dogs are set back a few steps and they just need a little encouragement to get on the right track. A lot of dogs get used to peeing in their kennels because a lot of times there isn't anyone there to let them out. With positive loving training he will soon figure out that peeing outside is a good thing. But like I said where he goes you go and vice versa, this is very important in training your dog to go outside. Good luck and congrats on the new fur baby.