When is it Okay for a hound dog to wear a sweater? How can you tell if your dog is cold and not scar

Angela WeinkleAngela Weinkle CharlestonPosts: 45Member

Best Answers

• Janet BoucherJanet Boucher WaterburyPosts: 2,054Member
    Accepted Answer
    I feel it is fine for any shorthaired dog to wear a sweater. I even have sweaters for my miniature schnauzer. I normally put on sweaters when the temps get into the 50's or if my Jack does a lot of shaking, then I know he is cold and is trying to warm up. The difference between him being cold and scared is his tail. When he is cold his tail will still be wagging, when he is scared his tail isn't wagging.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisPosts: 1,425Member
    Accepted Answer
    It's okay to wear a sweater any ole time you want to. Gracie loves wearing her jackets. She's older and cold natured and does much better outside with her jacket on.
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    As long as your dog is being monitored and is not panting or showing signs of being too hot, it's fine to put him in a sweater in colder weather. Frankly, it can be hard to tell if your dog is cold or scared, but gently touching his nose CAN sometimes be an indication of coldness if the nose feels cold like a person's hands would get on a cold day. Also, if you are very cold and the dog is shaking, it's a good sign he may be cold, too. Sweaters and t-shirts on dogs in warm weather when it is unneeded can lead to all sorts of health issues, so that's the only time I'd be concerned.