Our 3 year old Wheaten Terrier is scated of several objects/noises... any help?

Buckeye is our 3 year old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier who is scared of vacuums, brooms, rattling paper, some dogs in the neighborhood, and mostly- fireworks. The fireworks have been our worst problem yet. We try to get him to stay in the basemant, but Buckeye just shivers, crys and runs everywhere. We feel bad but we can not think of what to do. If anyone has any ideas, that would be apperciated.

Best Answers

• Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    We have a problem with thunderstorms. You might look into some Ttouch. We use a wrap, and that seems to be helping. She is still worried, but not as crazy. She would claw her way under my bed, and there really is no room for a dog under there... here is a pic... http://www.geocities.com/foxterrier_rescue/wrap.html
  • D- JacobsD- Jacobs Posts: 583Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sound phobias are challenging to work with. Sunny is a fearful dog and his page has more information about helping scared dogs. There are medications that can help a dog during storms or fireworks. Ask a vet. You can also work on counter conditioning and desensitization.
  • Denise ValadezDenise Valadez OrlandoPosts: 7Member
    Accepted Answer
    My Soft Coated Wheaten has really bad noise phobias as well. He is goes crazy anytime there is a thunderstorm, fireworks and even if he hears a plastic bag rattling. Since we live in Florida and are prone to thunderstorms often our vet put him on anti-anxiety medication that is only necessary when we know a thunderstorm is coming or before a holiday that fireworks will be used. The prescription is in expensive and keeps my Wheaten very calm and relaxed. I highly recommend you talking to your vet and see if he will prescribe your Wheaten with the anit-anxiety medication.