What dog breeds are known as non-shedders?

I need a dog that does not shed all over the house (husband is finicky about that)

Best Answers

• Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    There are many breeds known as "non-shedders", but all dogs coats shed. Some just less than others. Also, dogs have coats, not HAIR. Some dogs will have a single coat, some will have a double coat. Now, a low shedding dog would be something like a soft-coated wheaten terrier. They shed very little (but they DO shed). I think poodles are considered low shedders. The other thing you have to take into consideration are some low shedding dogs need pretty intensive grooming sessions weekly and DAILY, in order for their coat to not mat. A dog with a matted coat is pretty sad and dangerous for the dog. GL
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    This site may help you. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm Good luck and hopefully you will find a breed that fits perfectly into your family.
    Accepted Answer
    What the other poster said is true, but you will hardly ever hav a shedding problem with a poodle. I am not sure what breeds you are considering (remember all breeds hav their attributes, and disadvantages) but make sure you choose a breed that will also be a nice "fit", personality-wise and in character tendencies, for you and your family, besides the sole shedding issue. But going back to addressing the shedding issue you asked about, poodles are available in different sizes, so if you hav a penchant for larger dogs, you can get a Standard Poodle (they are very smart!) or if you prefer smaller dogs, they go all the way down to 'toy' size. Remember too that not shedding ( or not shedding much) doesn't mean they won't still need grooming, so you might want to look into what a particular breed has as far as grooming needs, as this may also be a variable for you. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps!
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    There is many. You have the poodles they are in different sizes also. They are very smart and loving dogs. If you are working with hubby I think this is my top pick for you!! There is the schauzers they come in different sizes, Bouvier, Soft coated, wire coated Wheaten, I'm not awake, there is many more out there I'm sure.Oh Bishion, probaly didn't spell that right. Good luck.
  • Lynne MillerLynne Miller Posts: 13Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have a little pomeranian poodle cross (pom-poo) He hardly shed at all and they bonus is that they have beautiful temperments.
  • Jennifer CaldwellJennifer Caldwell Posts: 1,686Member
    Accepted Answer
    It looks like you have some great answers. I will caution you though, if you get a mixed breed dog, that a mix between a heavy shedder and a light shedder (i.e. a lab/poodle cross) is just as likely to inherit one parent's coat as the other, so you could very well end up with a dog that sheds a lot. If you are looking for a mixed breed dog, it would be best to choose one that is either already an adult (so you know what its coat is like) or one that is a cross between two low-shedding breeds. From personal experience, I can tell you two breeds to avoid if you are not fond of dog hair everywhere are Labrador Retrievers and German Shepherd Dogs. You can find lots of great dogs in need of homes (including some that don't shed much) at www.petfinder.com.