how do we get our dog to relax enough to not break out of our house and destroy doors on the way

Best Answers

• Jayj GJayj G BlancoPosts: 1,218Member
    Accepted Answer
    Give him more excercise for one, a long walk morning and evening at least or a place to get a good run off leash. If a dog has adaquete exercise will do WONDERS for seperation anxiety and beheivior problems. Second, give him something to, give him a rawhide or toy (under supervision) or a Kong toy filled with frozen peanut butter or cream cheese (okay to give when you're gone). Play with him to give him stimulation. Third, work with a trainer to solve seperation anxiety issues. Be sure to go to a trainer who uses positive training methods, not using choke chains, prong collars, shock collars or other aversive methods. Go to one who uses clickers, treats and head collars.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    I totally agree with first answer. How big is the dog I am wondering? I think you can try to train positive methods for the crate also when you are not home.
  • Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    Here is a book to also read: "I'll Be Home Soon- How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety" by Patricia McConnell http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/product/dog-separation-anxiety Good info here: http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Honestly, this sounds like a lack-of-enough-exercise issue to me.
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    I will ask the obvious question - have you ever tried crating your dog while you are gone? There are some dogs who are jut not comfortable being loose in the house without their "leaders" being present, and having to make their own decisions. A crate often helps these dogs, as they like having a den-like space where they can go sleep until you come back. You can also try DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) plug-ins, those do work quite well on many dogs, and help them feel more comfortable. You can try leaving the TV or a radio on so your dog does not feel alone. Also try "trial separations" where you leave the dog in the house for just a few minutes and then come right back, slowly increasing the amount of time your dog is left home alone.