I am trying to find some sort of "work" for my beagles

My 2 beagles are one year and younger. They are sooo bored, and despite the fact that they have a ton of toys, bones and eachother to play with in a BIG yard they are resulting to distruction. Walking them doesn't seem to be helping much. One of them is happy to just sit and chew on a bone, while my female is constantly looking for some sort of "work". Iknow hunting would be preferable, but I need some sort of daily "job" or something for her to do.

Best Answers

• Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisPosts: 1,425Member
    Accepted Answer
    Miss Buddie is "busy" too. One of the games she likes is for me to hide her toys and she goes to find them. Then, being the herder she is, she puts them all together in a circle.
  • Jayj GJayj G BlancoPosts: 1,218Member
    Accepted Answer
    Maybe you could get them into a dog sport. Good ones for Beagles would be: Agility, Tracking, SAR (Search and Rescue), Rally-O. Find a good positive trainer to help you. If you don't do a sport, then maybe set up an agility course in your backyard and teach them how to do it. Hide treats throughout the house and yard and let them track them down. Beagles LOVE using their noses! Good luck!
  • Jessica GardnerJessica Gardner Coastal Plain/PiedmontPosts: 2,868Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Zack. Rally, flyball, fisbiee, agility, obidence, hunting, and a MILLION other possibilites. Do some research on a local sports club you can join!
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Teaching them tricks regularly and having them compete in something such as Agility helps a lot. You need to exercise their minds, not just their bodies. Mind games like hide and seek (I did an Easter egg hunt and my dogs were looking for Easter eggs last year). Teaching tricks also exercises a dog's mind. Sports like Agility give both mental and physical exercise and most dogs love it.
  • Rachel TylerRachel Tyler Newnan / WWW.PawsitiveArt.ComPosts: 42Member
    Accepted Answer
    I know this sounds crazy, but I saw a machine that shoots out tennis balls and the man had it in his hallway. His beagle would load the ball back into the machine and it would shoot it again. This went on for hours at a time and by the time he got home from work his beagle was worn out. You could possibly google this and find what I'm talking about. :)
  • Lin ZeeLin Zee WSPosts: 151Member
    Accepted Answer
    Beagles R bred 4 nose work, I would start there. There R so many things U can do. It all depends on how far U want to go. U could train (or have them trained) to track & help people find lost pets, or register w/your local kennel club or police to assist when they have "child finds." Check w/local trainers or on the internet for other ideas. If a game is as far as U want to take it, teaching them individually, scent 2 rags (rub on a ferret, spray w/musk, perfume, etc), hide 1 (rub a trail to it) (short distance at 1st) & use the other to let him smell (telling him what to look for). Help him find it the 1st time or 2, then lengthen trail as he improves (give hints in beginning), praising all the way. When he finds the rag, give him a greater reward (cow bone & a play session, perhaps...check w/butcher). Once they've caught on, U can change treats & scents to keep up interest & hide them throughout their lot. Let them out to search on their own when U can't join N if lot is fenced.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    Yeh I got two things. Before you put them out hide some yummy treats under some pails, under something you don't mind them messing up. Then cut them loose believe me they will find all of it. It will be good for them mentally. Sounds like they are busy and learn from each other.! Not so fun sometimes for us. What better way for a beagler to use his nose. Then the other thing is make them a big ol dirt box. Put some of their toys under the dirt. Show them then when they start digging there praise them, say good job, or alright! My mom had tons of these guys but she used them to hunt rabbits. We were country folk. lol That's all I got. good luck.
  • Matt StrandbergMatt Strandberg FraminghamPosts: 65Member
    Accepted Answer
    For Lola, I put her in a sit/stay and showed her a treat. Then, I put the treat under a keg cup (red party cup), released her and said "find it!" The first few rounds taught her the game and how to lift the cup for the treat. Then, I did the same thing with two cups, one treat making it very easy by showing her where the treat was. I eventually worked my way up to three cups. We're still working on it, but you can see how you could make this a good mind/nose game for a Beagle.