Is it okay for dogs to chew on sticks? It seems like lately jasper has had an odd facsination with i

Kaila ButlerKaila Butler VancouverPosts: 88Member

Best Answers

• dana mcduffydana mcduffy new albanyPosts: 210Member
    Accepted Answer
    Jasper seems to have a lot in common with my beastie, he too loves to chew on sticks, sometimes he even eats them. i have to be very careful with him he is like a garbage disposal, he vomited last week and i found an entire grocery bag and bits of sticks, it is dangerous for them to eat the wood, it doesnt digest. if he is just chewing and your watching, i cannot see the harm , but if i were you i would try to find something he likes better to offer him everytime you see him go for a stick. try different chew treats, i wouldnt recommend rawhide, but there are a lot to look at, even a kong filled with peanut butter or cheese or his fave treats. good luck, and big doggie hugs to you and your doggie family!
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    It really isn't that good, but I have never had a problem. Scraps of lumber or other dried wood will splinter and need to be kept away. Most of the sticks that fall off trees or something are too rotten to do much except crumble when the dog chews it. I do often find plenty of wood when I am cleaning up stools. Sticks may not be completely safe, but can't be much danger either.
  • Joanne JeffersonJoanne Jefferson Posts: 472Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sticks are extremely dangerous! They can puncture internal organs, as well as the palate. Search the forums and you will find numerous horror stories about dogs playing with sticks, much less chewing on them!
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    It is not good for them to do it. I had sticks get lodged in teeth, gums and one time her mouth was wedged wide open. It is hard on their tummy's too. It is bad habit I would try to stop. I would take the stick away then switch it out with something he can chew on, like a baby kong or something chewy you can stuff them with PB also. When you take it say no then present the toy. When he bites that say Good in a very upbeat tone.