Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

sadness

shaina careyshaina carey south glens fallsPosts: 228Member
is it ok to greive for a dog that has been gone for three years? everytime i see a picture of a norwegian elkhound i think about our dog jasmine.

Best Answers

• Maggie-Lee HuckMaggie-Lee Huck ChristchurchPosts: 1,128Member
    Accepted Answer
    I sure hope it is okay. My sweet Abigail died at the ripe old age of 18 years about 8 years ago. Last year I was in North America and went into an Orbis shop in Boston. They had one of those stuffed fluffy dog toys, what we called Abigails "muffin". I burst into tears. I no longer greive loudly and painfully for her every day....of course not. I've moved on have new dogs that I adore. But my Abby will always have a special special spot.
  • Jayj GJayj G BlancoPosts: 1,218Member
    Accepted Answer
    Of course! My dogs that I lost within 3 months of each other, 2 years ago, and I'm still sad about it! I don't think you will ever get over it, don't let anybody say you will or that "It was just a dog", you may be less sad and be living a new "normal" but you will always miss your dog and be sad for her.
  • Julie McCannJulie McCann Posts: 14Member
    Accepted Answer
    awwww im soooo sorry i still get teary eyes when i see a picture of a beagle because when i as 6 years old i lost my dear dog chloe when she got hit by a car, she was my birthday presant when i was 5 soo she was young, but it is ok to grieve for a dog no matter how long its been Hugs and kisses, Rambo
  • Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / AlaskaPosts: 863Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss :'( My very first dog was an Irish Setter - my parents had had them when they were younger, and both me and my sister each had our own. I still get emotional when I see one, or pictures of mine or my sisters'. Grieving is normal, and in my opinion, healthy. You can't deal with death if you don't grieve.
  • Erika DavisErika Davis TallahasseePosts: 213Member
    Accepted Answer
    Its Ok to grieve for however long you need to. I passed away 3 years ago tomorrow. My mom had me for 13 years and she still cries occasionally when she sees something that reminds her of me. Its rare now but little things set it off. The only thing that decides whether or not its "Ok" to grieve is you. Everyone is different.
  • tiff anytiff any Posts: 260Member
    Accepted Answer
    It is okay. Sometimes I still grieve over the loss of my dog of 15 years. When she died of old age about 5 years ago I didn't think I wanted another dog or just not very soon. It wasn't until last year I truly let myself have closure because of my new dog. She's not the same breed, but kinda close and reminds me of the things that made me love my dog so much.