how do i get my pug to chew her milk bones or any other treat we give her?

we have a 1 year old pug. when we give her a treat like milk bones or any other type of treat, she will swallow it hole. i have tried getting her to work on getting it out of my hand to slow her down, but i am still having a problem with it.

Best Answers

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Have you tried pieces of hot dogs are treats? That's what I use on my dogs because I no longer trust the companies that made them to provide "balanced nutrition" for my dogs, and I do not wish to feed poorly nutritionally balanced food, even if it's just a snack or appetizer. Plus, they are able to chew the hot dogs faster and they appear to enjoy them more, giving the hot dogs bonuses as great training treats. While there is no way to correct the behavior that I am aware, giving her smaller pieces of the treat rather than the whole thing will dramatically decrease the chances of choking.
  • Kelly lourencoKelly lourenco PHXPosts: 150Member
    Accepted Answer
    Give her a big treat that she just can't swallow. Like a 12'' bully stick. If she tries to swallow that then good luck.
  • Accepted Answer
    Instead of letting her have the whole thing, I would recommend breaking it into smaller pieces that wouldn't harm her if swallowed. You can also try giving her chew toys like bully sticks, rawhide, Kongs, and pig ears (all while supervised of course) as these cannot usually be swallowed in large chunks and have to be chewed bit by bit.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    I simply just wouldn't give her the milk bones anymore. Maybe you could purchase a smaller soft treat that would be better for your little girl. Buy Kongs or unedible bones for her to chew on. There are so many chewys for our pups out there that will do no harm to their tummys. Have a good one.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would take her to vet to see about her teeth first. Or try to move her teeth perhaps you'll see a problem. If not, you might want to check out soft treats, they have Zukes, Chocolick, and other soft made treats at petstores and boutiques. I just found the chocolick and my male dog who is small loves it, he has dental issues. They smell like mint and are great for the breath. I paid a dollar and there is plenty for the price.