I have a baby MS pupp and I love him but he doesn't like me and bites me all the time.

Vanessa TruogVanessa Truog Fort Lauderdale, Fort Riley, KPosts: 1Member
I am coming close to seeking someone who might be a better fit. I am exhausted with depression and lack of sleep and constant with the puppy. He loves other people but if I even pet him he bites me, at first he was trying to hump me then started the biting and even bit my face. I can't handle a dog like this, I had pitty and labs in the past so this breed is new to me. I always wanted a mini schnauzer but going mad. He is going to puppy class soon. Should I get a muzzle? My friend who works with dogs suggested one.

Best Answers

• Sarah LundleySarah Lundley OaklandPosts: 894Member
    Accepted Answer
    Your dog doesn't see you as it's leader or someone he can trust. Instead of a muzzle you really need a trainer. Maybe once you get him into the puppy class, he'll start to respect you more. But, I wouldn't hang my hopes on a group puppy class. I would find a good trainer/behaviorist and work with them to find the best way of helping your dog trust you. There are a lot of books out there that cover stuff like this and you should google "dog training" books and see what comes up. I'm sure there are lots of suggestions on this site. And if you don't have the inner strength to work with your dog, then having him live with someone else might be best. Good luck.
  • marti addisonmarti addison Columbus, OHPosts: 7Member
    Accepted Answer
    You're calling your dog a puppy. I don't know what a MS puppy is. It sounds to me that you're not giving this poor puppy any space to himself. Puppies need lots of rest. How did he bite your face. What was it doing in his mouth's vicinity? Dogs do not like human faces in theirs! Play gently with your puppy. Keep your hands away from his mouth. Talk to him soothingly not excitedly. I think you're amping up the hyperness of this puppy. Puppies are just like kids they can be quiet sweet puppies or they can be holy terrors. It all depends upon you and how you treat him. Treat your puppy with respect. When he attempts to bite, say no, no , gently moving his mouth away from whatever part of you you presented to him.. Why are you exhausted? If you're exhausted maybe he's telling you to let him get his rest too. They're babies and they sleep a lot the same as infants do No muzzles for puppies. You need to learn how to play gently with him after his several naptimes per da
  • Accepted Answer
    Your puppy is only doing what puppies do that have not been taught their rules & boundaries...I am going to guess you got him by the age of 6 weeks & that is a BIG NO NO!...Mama dog & litter mates teach vital lessons like bite inhibition between the ages of 6 & 8 weeks so, if this is the case, your pup lost out on these lessons & you will need to teach him...Puppy classes will help you learn how to teach him & I'd advise getting to them a.s.a.p.! Absolutely do NOT muzzle this baby pup!...That is an absolutely horrible idea with a 6 week old pup & will teach him absolutely nothing!...If I can offer you further advise I'd not be taking advise from that friend about dogs! Geesh!
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    I pretty much agree with the others. He's not biting out of "hate", it's what puppies do. It is their instinct to play roughly--which includes biting and play-growling--with littermates; perhaps he is thinking of you as a playmate. As mentioned, biting can also be a result of taking the puppy away from his mother and littermates too early. It can be corrected, you just have to know how. Not only that, but if he feels like his space is being threatened, then he will ask you to stop by growling and/or biting. The puppy class should help, if they use the right methods. I am personally hoping this particular class uses positive reinforcement, though you have to watch out even with those as some aren't strict enough. Getting a muzzle will not fix the problem, it will only prevent the problem from hurting you, and may make Munich frustrated. A muzzle can be used as a *short-term* tool for dogs that bite out of aggression, but it is only to keep the dog from injuring people while the problem is being corrected. A muzzle should not be used on young puppies. No offense, but I hope that your friend doesn't teach a training class.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    pups are pups. They play bite and do rough housing. Best to go out and get lots of dog toys and keep him busy. Get him neutered by the time he is around 6 months to cut down this humping issue that has started. If you get toys for him use that to show that what you bite not you. And no he doesn't need a muzzle. Pups nip and bite over a few weeks you can teach them to stop doing it. The longer you allow it the longer he will do it. Teach him how to use dog toys.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    Puppies have learned much of what they are going to learn from their mother and litter mates by 6 weeks and are soon ready to start learning to live with people. Extending their time with the breeder only reinforces the play biting. It is vital to start teaching them not to bite well before 12 weeks when they no longer accept new things as well. Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months they are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking moment biting or chewing. One thing you can do at that stage is to knot and wet a piece of cloth. Then freeze it. The cooling will soothe the gums. Only let the puppy have it when you are there to watch it. Continued in a PM.
  • Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    This is a puppy. Of course they will drive you up a wall! This is the time to start teaching him what you expect. Classes would be a great place to start. I'm glad you are seeking help on forums, and books, now start to apply what you are learning. Heard of Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF). Google if you haven't. Be consistent. Be patient. And remember this too shall pass. (If you get upset, leave, and go to another room. Count as high as you need to, then go back into the room.)