I had a 5 year old Shar Pei that on a sunday night was very normal. Upon waking up Monday morning sh

Pappy JoePappy Joe St.CatharinesPosts: 1Member
I had a 5 year old Shar Pei that on a sunday night was very normal. Upon waking up Monday morning she was very listless. I took her to the vet and her heart and lungs were fine. Blood work was done and she showed a low white blood count. She deteriorated during the day and I stayed up with her all night. At 7:50 am Tuseday she passed away. At no time did she show any pain except the last 1/2 hour she was whimpering. Does anyone have any idea why a seemingly normal healthy dog would pass away so quickly at such a young age?

Best Answer

• Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    First, let me say how sorry I am to hear your dog passed away. I know you must be devastated and I'm truly sorry to hear she passed away. It's extra hard when a young dog dies unexpectedly. The best person to ask really is the vet since the have all the dog's medical history and the complete list of symptoms and medical treatment that was give to treat her. If they haven't given you a cause of death, you can certainly call them and ask for their opinion or take her file to another vet. Beyond that, all I can tell you is that a low white blood count is common in dogs with fevers, infection or cancer. Given the acute (sudden onset) nature of her illness, it seems more likely that she had an infection, possibly a systemic or body-wide infection. It could possibly indicate poisoning of some sort, but other symptoms are likely in that case. I hope you can get some answers from your vet. Again, I'm so sorry and I hope this answer helped a little bit. :)