biscuts is eating my books and trys to bite anyone that comes near me mostly my husband what should

amber milleramber miller vacavillePosts: 2Member
when i leave for work i will come home to my books being chewed and torn apart when i show her the book and say no thats bad she wont do it for a few days untill she see's me and my husband sitting close watching a movie she gets very mad and barks when i hug or kiss my husband bye what do i do??

Best Answers

• Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    You need to take over as leader. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ For more on being top dog, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm I doubt showing her the books and telling her no really does much good. It may be she only does it every few days. I think you need to crate her when you aren't around. I will PM you more details.
  • Wendy DanburyWendy Danbury OrangePosts: 861Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Ms. Biscuts! I just visited your page, and you are a smart, busy little girl! Great that you know lots of tricks and won at the Vacaville dog show! Bummer that you're trying to be the boss at home - and a jealous one, at that! Does your mom walk you every day? You are small and don't need a long walk, but getting out and about with a human leading you is one way to establish leadership and reduce the destructive behavior at home. I agree with Aster that pointing to an object and saying "no" is not likely to work. Dogs are not primates; we learn by nonverbal behavior and body positions. Giving a command (such as "sit" or "down") as an alternative to chewing or barking will help. If your humans ignore your barking, or separate you into another room when you're annoying, you will learn to stop. Not enough room for more here, but read The Other End of the Leash by Dr. Patricia McConnell, a behaviorist who explains dog behavior and how to modify it in a positive, humane way. Good luck!