Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

what can i do for my dogs paws she licks them and chews them and they smell

Best Answers

• Janet BoucherJanet Boucher WaterburyPosts: 2,054Member
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like she has some kind of allergy. It could be to her food, the outside environment, then try to eliminate the allergy source. If you cannot find the allergy source your vet can do help you with allergy testing.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    the smell could also be Yeast infection. They have special shampoos at the vets' and they have medication to help. You may want to research your breed and their diets as well to discourage more allergies or infections
  • Sarah LundleySarah Lundley OaklandPosts: 894Member
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like she has a food allergy. One of the most common symptoms of food allergies is chewing/licking the paws and base of the tail. The foods that cause this the most are chicken, corn (corn meal too),wheat and gluten. Check the foods that you're feeding her. If the food contains any of those ingredients, switch to foods that don't. Do the switch slowly though so she adjusts. Most good dog foods don't contain corn, wheat or gluten. They may contain chicken, but a lot of dogs have allergies to chicken too. I know of 3 people whose dogs are highly allergic to chicken. They chew on their paws until they bleed. They had to spend a lot of time finding the right dog food for their pooch. One switched to a lamb based food, the other went to raw and the other is feeding her dogs Blue Buffalo. I think that's what it's called. Start experimenting w/the food and see what happens.
  • Marie PeppersMarie Peppers the valleyPosts: 1,164Member
    Accepted Answer
    Dog chewing paws - paw stains - eyes stains - yeast smell... Help is here: smelly shih tzu - probiotic help; http://en.allexperts.com/q/Shih-Tzus-3351/2009/6/OOH-Smell-shih-tzu.htm
  • Kathi EnglandKathi England BellevuePosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    I did the same thing - and it was an allergy. Mom and ad switched me to the Dick Van Patten food/for dogs with allergies, and the vet also gave me a dose of pills for 12 days or so, and then I have been taking 3 fish oil pills a day (I weigh 80#). I have gotten much! better, and don't bite and chew my paws now. I think the vet gave me some kind of antibiotic, I don't remember. I spit out the fish oil pills sometimes, so mom and dad wrap them in thin sliced turkey, or cheese! They think I don't know - I DO!! I like the meat and cheese though..... Hope your pup gets better, it's really a pain, and makes my paws hurt, itch and they do smell when the yeast infection gets bad.