My soft coated wheaten terrier barks and cries when we are not home

Allison MutchlerAllison Mutchler Tinton Falls, NJPosts: 1Member
My soft coated wheaten terrier is about 10 weeks. We got him 2 weeks ago. He has been sleeping in our room either on the bathroom tile or on the hardwood floors. He lets us know when he has to go out and we haven't had any problems with accidents at night. When we go out in the day we leave him in the crate, but he barks and cries and I don't think he takes a nap or relaxes. It has been 2 weeks, will he ever get used to it? How long does it take. When I'm out, I don't relax because I think about him. He has to get used to it, but I'm nervous even when he gets bigger he will never stop barking and crying. Please help!

Best Answer

• Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    Are you putting good stuff in there? Try a kong with some frozen goodies. You might leave a radio or tv on, just so there is some extra noise. Bully sticks are another good option. The point is to make the kennel a good place to be. What about someone coming home in the middle of the day and letting him out for a potty break, and to stretch his legs. That young he may have troubles controlling his bladder for long periods of time. The muscles need to develop some strength. When you go to let him out, you need to wait until he calms down (wait him out). Only open the door when he is quiet. A clicker can help you here ( if you are using one). When he has quieted down, then let him out. Enjoy your wheaten, they are very puppy like for many years. http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org/