Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

I had two dogs and one past away over the weekend. how long should I wait to replace my other dogs c

Best Answers

• Linda WoodyLinda Woody Posts: 299Member
    Accepted Answer
    I wouldn't wait too long, but long enough for your other doggie to realize that his companion is not coming back. And, you'll need to decide on adoption, or where you'll get your next dog, too. When my (2) oldest passed on, the remaining one seemed lost. He was looking around for them all day, every day. I knew he was lonely for dog company, especially when I was away. It was about a month, give or take a few days, when we adopted another dog. After that, his spirits perked up quite a bit, she needed a home and they became friends! Sorry for your loss. Good luck on finding your new doggie. Best Woofs, Vinnie
    Accepted Answer
    We, had 2 Chi's, Cricket and Pepe. Pepe died quite suddenly, of congestive heart failure. Cricket, was terribly lonely, as they were togather for 8 yrs. We bought Cricket a little Chi. puppy within a week. She took Cali right in "under her wing". She still looked for Pepe, and of course, we all still miss him very much. (7 months, he has been gone) But, Cali, has been a good companion, to Cricket, and us too. Cricket is 10 years old, and this puppy has given her a renewed look on life. So sorry about your lose.
  • Michael AlbeeMichael Albee Cedar RapidsPosts: 245Member
    Accepted Answer
    There is now set time that works for everyone. You will know when the time is right. Make sure that when you do, the new dog fits your families lifestyle. There are two things to consider before you replace the dog. 1. Make sure that the humans in your home have had ample time to greeve the loss and have had the time needed to get past it. 2. Make sure that your other dog has time to greeve too. To check your dog's progress, Introduce any new playmates (with about the same energy level) slowly. Make sure that they get along good. When you find the best match, it's time...
  • bobbi Edwardsbobbi Edwards elizabethvillePosts: 20Member
    Accepted Answer
    it really does depend on you/family and your remaining dog. when my male suddenly died it took me awhile to realize that my husband was right-i was the one that was really lonely. our 2 girls seemed to be okay with it b/c they already had eachother. BUT, after getting our new addition they both perked up more than i ever imagined. both our girls and son were brought to meet the new guy, along with the other dogs that we had tried to adopt before deciding on him. the entire family should be introduced and their wishes respected so that the new addition truely feels welcome and settles in easier-puppy or not, they can sense when something is off. im terribly sorry for your loss but you all will meet again someday when your times have come. join the rainbow bridge babies-they have helped me a great bit and they are all so very understanding. let the tears fall but embrace the one who stands beside you... bandits mom