Is South Florida too hot for an Alaskan Malamute?

Katy FarraldKaty Farrald Junction City, ORPosts: 3Member
My family is moving to South Florida in a few months, and I'm worried about how the heat will affect me.... My mom and Dad don't want to give me up, but they don't want me to be unhappy in their new home. What should they do?

Best Answers

• Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    He can survive there, just don't keep him outdoors for more than an hour and always have fresh water available to him. If I can own a long-haired Papillon mix in south/east Georgia, you can own a Malamute in Florida.
  • Wendy DanburyWendy Danbury OrangePosts: 861Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Niska! Most northern breeds suffer from the heat in hot climates, but that doesn't mean you have to end up homeless! There are several things your family can do to help you be more comfortable in your new home: 1. Always make the indoors available, so you can escape to the air-conditioned climate. 2. Keep a kiddie pool filled with clean water available in the yard. Make sure it's emptied often enough to keep mosquitoes from breeding there. 3. Don't shave your fur! Sometimes people think that northern breeds will be more comfortable with less fur, but the fact is that your guard hairs will help conduct body heat away from you. Brush frequently to keep the undercoat thinned out. 4. Buy two or three Kong toys and stuff them with wet dog food, peanut butter, or other soft, safe foods, then pop them in the freezer. During the hottest part of the day, chew on a frozen treat. 5. Always have cool water available. Toss in a few ice cubes occasionally. Good luck - I hope this helps!
  • Sarah LundleySarah Lundley OaklandPosts: 894Member
    Accepted Answer
    If your dog is mostly an outside dog, then I say don't take him. Find another home. If your dog lives inside, which it should, then I say he should be fine if his outdoor activity is monitored. Air conditioning will be his best friend and he should be quite happy lying in a nice cool room during the day. Make sure most of his exercise is done when it's cooler in the morning and cooler in the evening. But, if he's going to be confined to the inside of a house more than he was before, make sure he gets lots and lots of exercise and has lots of chew toys to play with inside.
  • Betty MorganBetty Morgan CitronellePosts: 5,018Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am outside most of the day in southern Alabama and I do fine. (My person feels I am better off outside in a secure area then trapped inside while she is at work) I have a nice area with lots of shade, places I can dig in the cool dirt, and a nice wading pool to play in. I have a couple of dog houses to go into if I want and a friend to play with if I get bored. I don’t think it is any hotter in southern Florida. I do enjoy coming in and lying in front of the air-conditioning and I have seen pictures of Huskies lying in front of fans on someone’s patio. I am sure your friend would want to stay with you and I am sure you can keep him comfortable. PS how will your family feel if they leave you behind then see other huskies and malamutes happily living in their neighborhood?
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    He must be an inside dog. If you keep your's outdoors it's not a good choice for him
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    buy a plastic kiddie pool they love them. Replace the water often with nice fresh cold water toss toys in the water to encourage play and to get them use to it.