I have 2 female mixed breed spayed puppies one is 7months other is 1 year....Help Things are out of

Sharon WestSharon West VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIAPosts: 1,131Member
The 1 year old terrier cross is-- or was quiet, well behaved 90% house trained and now has lost most of her training. We have had her since 6mos. Adopted SPCA. Our 7month old miniature poodle schnauzer cross is adopted rescue she is the wild one. I love them both but finding it hard to deal with two dogs. The 7 month jumps doesn't listen to any commands and is only selective house trained (a plus she uses the bell on the door to ask to go out, the 1 year has never done that) but I think she uses it to go play out side more than to have to go the bathroom. I need support from someone who has gone through this. Someone who will let me ask questions whenever about whatever...........are you out there???? My dogs are Penny 1yr and Abby 7mos I have some family support but they say they are my dogs so I need to smooth things out so the others can enjoy well behaved dogs. help..................................................................... October 22, 2009

Best Answers

• Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    Allowing the new dog to move in with all the freedom of your other dog is a mistake. Puppies and rescue dogs should be leashed or crated inside and out until they are "civilized". Your new pup is high energy and desparately needs more exercise and less freedom. I see some Jack Russell in her as well as Schnauzer, and maybe some poodle. You have your work cut out for you to keep the pup busy and tired. Split them up as much as you can so Abby does not rub off on Penny so much.
  • Richard AtchesonRichard Atcheson Northern USAPosts: 3,570Member
    Accepted Answer
    Read through what i have posted at http://www.dogster.com/forums/Behavior_and_Training/thread/615737 This can be applied to older dogs too. Biggest difference is the longer time after eating or drinking before they are ready to relieve themselves. If a dog has been living where it could keep its living space clean, it should quickly catch on. The important part will be teaching it that if it goes to the door, you will let it out. It will be much more difficult if the dog was forced to live in its filth. You will need to learn to read the dog and learn its schedule, and when it needs to go out. Keep it in sight, closing doors and setting up gates. Some people even leash the dog to themselves. I have used a tie down at my computer desk. When you are around you need to keep a close eye on the dog. Use closed doors or gates to keep it in the same room as you are, and perhaps as I do, a short chain fastened to the computer desk. If you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!''
  • Tiffany MitchellTiffany Mitchell IOWAPosts: 6,792Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hiya! Terrier person here, lol. Yeah, craziness (and hopefully laughs) are what it is about. What kind of training have you done so far? What kind of exercise (physical AND mental) do they both get)? They are both adolescents, so you have awhile yet before they "calm" down (as much as terriers can, that is). http://www.dogster.com/forums/Soft_coated_wheaten_terrier/thread/640776 Self-control is HUGE for us. We do Nothing in Life is Free. (Live it, love it) Training is a journey not a destination. Good Luck! feel free to pmail.
  • Lindsay PicheLindsay Piche Posts: 166Member
    Accepted Answer
    There is deffinately Schnauzer in her! She's adorable! I think people who take on two puppies at once are brave! I find puppies are sooooo much work and I can't imagine having two! You do have your work cut out for you. Time and patience and consistency is key. Crate training is wonderful! I never did it with any of my other dogs but with Ruby I do and it's better for everyone...Ruby included! Good luck! I'm sure there is someone here who has had two puppies at once that could help you.