My other dog is clearly grieving the sudden loss of his best friend (and mine). How should I proceed

Our dog recenctly passed away very unexpectedly, leaving his best friend, Comrade, a much younger dog who has never lived without him. Our late companion helped raise Comrade after we rescued him at 5 weeks old. Comrade is lonely and sad all the time now, and never leaves our sides when we are home. What is the best way to help him cope with this? It is hard enough for us; we don't want him to suffer so much as well.

Best Answers

• Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    Oh my, this is sad. I'm so sorry to hear about the death of your dog. Comrade is definitely grieving and it will take time. There are some things that you can do to help him out in the coming weeks as he adjusts to this loss. Making sure you keep up his regular routine is important. Any kind of change in routine now is extra confusing to him. But, at the same time, taking him new places and giving him new experiences will help A LOT. Try driving to a neighborhood or town you've not been to before with him. Bring lots of treats and go for a fun walk with him. His spirits might not perk up right away, but doing something fun and different with him every week is going to help him think about something else but "Where's my friend?" all day. Getting him tired out helps, too. When a dog is tired, his mind sort of relaxes a bit and he may feel more soothed during his downtime with you guys if he's tired out first. Lots of hugs, but I'm sure you're doing that already. Take care!
  • DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    We had that happen when our Golden died. He was one of the statistics of the dog food recall. Needless to say we were depressed but so was Jax. We tried to pay more attention to her and give her treats, but nothing really worked. She was raised by him since she was 4 months old and this was 4 years later. After about 4 months we got a puppy, Kali, and she didn't have time to be depressed. Kali became a real pain in her butt, in a good way. Jax didn't have time to be depressed because Kali tormented her constantly. It was really good for Jax. So, I would wait a reasonable amount of time and then get another dog. It will help both you and your dog. Bear in mind you are not replacing your dog who passed, you are just adding to your family. Good Luck!
  • Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    One of my boys lost his father a bit over a year ago. I would get up in the middle of the nite and see him walking around the back yard looking around. You just have to let them take the time , just give them lots of love and pay more attention to them even if it is just brushing them or taking him for an extra walk. Just like you it is going to take some time for him to heal. My heart goes out to both you and your dog.