Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

How do I stop my dog from digging up the yard.

Jennifer MikusJennifer Mikus PittsburghPosts: 30Member
My dog Bella is about 6 years of age, and I have had her for two years now. And we let her have a hole under the apple tree to lay in. But, now, she thinks she can just start digging anywhere. Plus, she uses her nose and keeps scraping off the skin. Any tips on how to redirect the behavior. I take her for long walks and everything.

Best Answers

• Cassie RCassie R Posts: 7,413Member
    Accepted Answer
    Does she know any kind of training? Training can really help a dog with destructive problems. I can teach you how to teach your dog lots of training tips, and tricks. 1. You can fill the hole up with your own dogs' poop. Some dogs don't like the smell or the taste of their own poop or other dogs poop, this will help her quit digging. If she likes to eat poop, then don't do this one. 2. A lot of dogs will dig because they are bored. A lot of dogs will dig because they need more exercise. How much exercise/playtime does Bella get per day? This is the main reason to her digging holes. 3. If she likes to dig, then you can buy a sandbox and fill it with sand, and let her dig in that. Put some nice toys in it, some that she really likes to keep her in the sandbox. 4. Toys like the Kongs, Buster Cubes, or any other toy you can fill something with (food). You can give it to her, she will like this, and will make her dig less. Paw-mail me for more info!
  • Anneliese ShawAnneliese Shaw Kelowna areaPosts: 224Member
    Accepted Answer
    It may be because she's bored, but since you say you take her for long walks, this may not be the case. Here is what I do when Sprite digs in our yard; I fill a spray bottle with water, and just give him a squirt with it whenever he is digging. It doesn't hurt the dog, and most dogs don't like it. You could also put a bunch of coins in a can and shake it when she digs - anything to startle her. Then, if you choose to get a sandbox or mark off part of your yard where she can dig, lead her to that spot after you have stopped her from digging. I hope this helps - good luck!
  • Accepted Answer
    I would keep redirecting her back to her hole when you catch her digging somewhere else. I garden & have trained Wiley to stay out of my garden, but he can dig away in his "garden." Maybe bury some kibbles or tasty snacks in her hole when she isn't looking. What a nice surprise & she may keep digging to find more. It took me about 3 days to get wiley to only dig in his spot. I hope I have the same luck with the pup. As for the nose, not much I can offer. maybe she'll stop on her own if it gets sore.
  • Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
    Accepted Answer
    there is some dogs whose noses get them into trouble. I recommend the home made sand boxes too. The dirt is easier to deal with and you can teach her where to dig and where not to. You can sprinkle a little white vinegar on the ground where she is not to dig, it is very offensive to a dog's nose but it shouldn't hurt her. Just simple supervision and some doggie toys should help her too. You can teach her the leave it command also which is very simple to do. Praise and reward is key when she stops doing any unwanted behaviors.
  • Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooelePosts: 1,805Member
    Accepted Answer
    exercise, exercise and exercise should clear this problem, jog with her or take her for 30 minute walks several times each day. it sounds like she is doing it because she is bored. you can play a game of hide and seek with her either to find you or find a toy or treat. you can also train her to do tricks like bang (playdead) and shake hands and roll over, there are MANY tricks you can teach her. or take her to dog training classes. just keep her busy 24/7 and she will most likely stop digging. if she doesn't you should consult a dog behavoirist and they can address what is making your dog dig. good luck!! ~ molly's mommy!
  • Glenn MassieGlenn Massie Posts: 7Member
    Accepted Answer
    For information and help visit the pages below. http://www.habitatoutfitters.com/training/digging.html http://www.habitatoutfitters.com/enrichingyourdogslife.html Good Luck. Glenn www.homeskooling4dogs.com