question about service dogs in public and who people respond.

Mackenzie StaronMackenzie Staron Lakeland FlPosts: 107Member
I have just received my service dog daisy. my disability is not visible and when i was out with her today people we asking if i was training her for someone with a disability. How do you respond to this sort of question.

Best Answers

• Audra BeardAudra Beard Posts: 1,359Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would just tell them the truth. Doing this is always the best choice because it makes people trust and respect you more. Hope I helped! :)
  • Accepted Answer
    Hi guest. There is a forum on dogster "Service/Therapy dogs". Folks there would be able to give you lots of advice on how to handle this. I would say she was my service dog & leave it at that. It is no one's business what your disability is & even businesses can not ask you what your disability is.
  • Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm with Squ'mey. Membership is free and the Forum regarding Service and Therapy dogs is very active and helpful. Access is a right you may find yourself fighting for as people are still unaware of all the services dogs do for humans. The difference between Therapy, Emotional Support, Guide and other Service dogs is discussed. My neighbor's son has seizures, she didn't know he can get a full-time service dog, that like a guide dog, may go everywhere with him. In your shoes I would probably say, "..she is my SD. SD's help humans with many medical issues, like.."...and then run off the long list. This way you educate without having to reveal personal information.
  • Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    I guess it is up to you if you want to tell people why you have a dog. Really it is not their business and if you just want to say no it is for me and leave it at that. I guess some people are just to noisy. I wish you the best in however you decide to handle this.