I have a Pembroke welsh corgi and i wanted to breed her. where do i go to breed her out. Or how do I

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    Why do you want to breed her?...Because she is a proven conformation champion?...Her health certs & ofa's are stellar? Or because you'll make a buck or two or because you falsely assume because she is AKC registered that she is breeding worthy? Please read this...I can assure you you shouldn't be breeding your bitch! Spay her! http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding.html
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    Take at least two year's worth of studying to study breeding, it's ethics, your dog's breed, and dogs in general. Find a good reputable mentor who's been breeding for at least 10 years. As for your dog, you need to determine if she's breeding quality or not. Does she fit her breed standard pretty good? Have her health tested. And by health tested, I don't mean just a vet check, though a vet check is part of it. You need to have the OFA, CERF, and other tests done on her and if she passes them, she's healthy enough to breed and less likely to spread health problems onto the puppies. You need to require the same of any stud dog that you breed her to. The tests aren't cheap, but worth it. The goal of a good breeder is to keep the breed they love healthy. When done responsibly, breeding is expensive and you usually lose money rather than gain it. I'm telling you all this as a breeder "in training". This is my website, it talks mostly of the ethics involved in dog breeding: cookiemiller.tripod.com
  • Allie LumAllie Lum TorontoPosts: 1,587Member
    Accepted Answer
    Why do you want to breed her? To witness the miracle of birth? Well I don't want to be rude or anything, but you can also witness the tragedy of death if you don't know what your doing, which you probably don't. You need medical training, years of research, good homes to find for your puppies( that's what breeding normally results in), medical equipment, veterinary attention, and much, much more! It cost around 400 - 700 dollars to properly breed your dog, then deliver her puppies. If you love your dog, DO NOT breed her because believe it or not, dogs can die during labor! Do you want to kill your dog and her puppies because you thought it would be fun? I don't think so, so DO NOT breed your dog!!! Get her spayed A.S.A.P! Your local humane sociaty can do it for low cost, and if not, talk to your vetrinarain about it, but PLEASE do NOT breed your dog!
  • Mary KaminskiMary Kaminski Posts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    STOP! Before you do anything else: Read two great blog entries on the blacksheep cardigans/ruffly speaking blog at www.blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/. First: the top-five-reasons-to-breed-your-dog (19 June 2010). And then this: the top-five-reasons-not-to-breed-your-dog (17 June 2010). Both are found under the Responsible Breeding section of the blog - the link is down at the bottom of the page. Then, after some long & hard thinking, decide if breeding your corgi (or any dog) is the ethical and responsible thing to do. If it is, contact the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Association (PWCCA) at pembrokecorgi.org for information about how involved breeding is and locating good stud dogs. Remember, a purebred dog is not necessarily a well-bred dog. The last thing this world needs is more poorly bred dogs.