Jazz is depressed and won't eat.. What can i or should i do?

One of my pugs pugsy passed away 3:30 Wednesday morning from a ruptured spleen, a tumor, and an over-inflated stomach and bladder. Pugsy was jazz's favorite buddy. And now he is depressed from pugsy being gone. He sleeps where pugsy has slept he won't eat, he'll just turn his nose away from the food. What can i do to get him to eat? He's only 5 1/2 months old (will be 6 months on the 14th of this month) and since he's still growing i need him to eat. What can i or should I do?

Best Answers

• Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    Dogs grieve too. Give him time and as normal activities as possible. You can't make him feel better, he has to get there on his own. Time Let him be for now. When Candy died, Snicker went to bed and stayed there. Very sad boy...
  • Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    I had a boy that was very close to his father. And when the father passed away, i would see him out in the fenced in back yard running around like he was looking for him. I agree with the first post, dogs grieve also. Just give him a bit of time and alittle extra love right now . And i am so sorry about the passing of Pugsy.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevillePosts: 2,200Member
    Accepted Answer
    Ah poor Jazzy and I'm so sorry to hear about Pugsy. :o( I have to agree with above posters. Time is needed in Jazzy's grieving period. Give him some extra TLC and possibly get him moving with activities he finds enjoyable. Hugs to you both.
  • Michelle BradleyMichelle Bradley CaliforniaPosts: 3,684Member
    Accepted Answer
    So sorry to hear about your loss. You've already gotten some good advice here. But I'd add that dogs really thrive on routine. And sometimes that can help soothe a grieving doggie. Keeping to your normal schedule with Jazzy will really help keep him feeling a bit more secure while he goes through this hard time. If, say, you had a walk with the dogs at a certain time, try to keep that up. It will likely help you to have that time with him, too. The other thing I'd recommend is that you BREAK with routine once in a while; maybe once or twice this coming week or weekend, you can take him someplace he's never been before. A new park, a walk in a new neighborhood he's never been is very cathartic for most dogs. It's mentally stimulating to them, so it's the equivelant of us having less time to think about how sad we are. And it will help stimulate his appetite, too. Good luck with him. He'll be ok. He won't starve or be depressed forever. Take care of yourself, too.