We will soon get a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I want a small dog also. Would a mini dachshund be a good c

If we go ahead with the 2 dog family, when is the best time to get each dog...at the same time, big or small dog first?

Best Answers

• Liz HardersenLiz Hardersen GranbyPosts: 5,862Member
    Accepted Answer
    Rhodesian Ridgebacks are not always great with other dogs. The smaller dog should be carefully selected. A small dog that's too dominant or too submissive will not suit a RR. Snickers is very submissive with people, but no pushover with other dogs. One of his best pals is a RR twice his weight. Terrier breeds are a good choice. Dachshunds have delicate backs and would not be sturdy enough for a RR playmate.
  • Tod KnudsenTod Knudsen MovillePosts: 3,793Member
    Accepted Answer
    Ridgebacks are sight hounds and do not tend to be very good with small dogs. If you are set on the idea, i would get the dachshund first . Then when you got the bigger dog, it would be small enough for the small dog to stand up for itself and also teach the big dog not to hurt the older dog.
  • Nichole SanfordNichole Sanford ripleyPosts: 647Member
    Accepted Answer
    I have dachshunds! They make wonderfull companions!