Tapeworm question

Linda MatthewsLinda Matthews Plain cityPosts: 6,859Member
Ok. I see the confusion. I answered a question about a tapeworm. No the dog can't transmit the worm to owner. I think I don't have enough typing space to explain what I was saying. Ppl, can get tapeworms from food. One way tapeworm eggs are transferred is by eating 'fish' that are in polluted waters. By eating meat that the tapeworm has embedded eggs in and the meat not being throughly cooked. So forgive me for the confusion. Sometimes it is hard to explain on dogster with a limited amount of typing space. Here is the link that tells you how perhaps you can get a tapeworm thank you! http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4707256_tapeworm-human-body.html

Best Answers

• Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Posts: 11,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks, Dieta... and, yes, you are RIGHT, it can come from people eating contaminated fish as well because in that case, the fish is the intermediate host and I forgot to mention that one. Since we can't correct what we already submitted, I wasn't sure how to point it out to everyone that tapeworm eggs and segments are not really dangerous to humans. Disgusting, YES, Dangerous, nope.
  • Rhayden PhoenixRhayden Phoenix LevittownPosts: 335Member
    Accepted Answer
    I beg to differ please read this... Canine Tapeworms The most common form of tapeworm that can jump from dog host to human host are canine tapeworms. In dogs, these parasitic creatures live inside the digestive tract of the animal and leach the nutrients that the dog consumes. When the dog defecates, oftentimes tapeworm eggs and larvae can accompany the feces. If an adult or especially a child comes into contact with this feces and somehow ingests it (such as not washing before eating a meal), the eggs can hatch and grow inside the new human host. Once hatched, the larvae will grow into hydatid cyst in the liver and other surrounding organs. The cysts will continue to grow to as much as a foot in length and in most cases will need to be surgically removed. If you handle it and have the egg on your hand and don't wash or if a small child hands get in it and they put there hand to their mouth. as you know small child always are puting their hands in their mouth.