My 4 month old mixed labrador has amoeba.

My 4 month old mixed labrador has always had loose stool but is otherwise very lively. When she refused to eat one time & started vomiting, the VET said she has amoeba & started her on metronidazole 250mg for a week. She immediately regained her appetite & stopped vomiting. But, she still has very loose stool, bordering on diarrhea. I feed her mixed Alpo canned wet mixed with dry pellets twice a day & she licks her dish clean. Any suggestions on how to fix her LBM? Do I change her diet or add something to it? thanks.

Best Answers

• DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You have to give the meds time to work. You can give some boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast with some white rice for a day or two. Then you can wean her back on her regular food. If she doesn't get better quickly, you should take her back to the vet. Good Luck!
  • Marlene HuffordMarlene Hufford CreedmoorPosts: 321Member
    Accepted Answer
    get pup off Alpo!!!! that food is poison! look for an all natural holistic food such as wellness and blue buffalo. watch your labels. usa made or Canada only. basically if it can be boought at supermarket or Walmart it is trash food. please research "china made treats and foods". pup will also do fine on all dry...canned will cause loose stools because of moisture content.
  • Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Posts: 1,670Member
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the above, medicine can cause diarrhea and I'm surprised that your vet did not have this discussion with you. Switch the Alpo for Natural Choice lamb puppy formula in DRY. Your dog is old enough to lose the wet. Alpo is the equivalent of pup McDonald's and you can feed much better food and snacks from your local pet retail store. ^_^
  • Nish LeeNish Lee kansas city MoPosts: 39Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would try a diet of rice and boiled chicken, settle her stomach. Don't add other foods it may make it worse. Make sure she stays hydrated as well. Oh an NO SEASONING in the home made food.
  • Maria ElenaMaria Elena Posts: 202Member
    Accepted Answer
    Plain rice and boiled chicken will do. Try asking the vet about recommendations that suits your dog's nutritional requirement.

Comments

• Pat MillerPat Miller Posts: 2Member
    It might be the canned food. It will cause looser stools in most dogs. It happened with my dog. I would mix a half can of dog food with his dry. I cut way back like a quarter of a can. He gets the taste but it's not enough to affect his stool. Have to tried just dry for a few days to see if it changes? I would think that it probably isn't anything serious if her appetite and behavior (playing, etc) are good. Good luck!
  • If she eats dry kibble just fine you can cut out the canned food, seen a lot of diarrhea from just canned food. Also plain yogurt adds the good bacteria back into the GI tract you can try that its similar to using an intestinal probiotic. Make sure her fecal tests are clear of any intestinal parasites that are common in your area. Sometimes longer treatments of metronidazole are required depending on the case.
  • I have already had a lot of experience with metronidazole as my puppy is only 6 months old and has been on it 3 separate times. I hope by now the stool has firmed up. The medication does take a little time to work. Try adding probiotic powder to her food to replace the good bacteria. Also look at her food, like others have said. That kind of thing can allow normally harmless bacteria that already lives in her gut to overgrow and cause diarrhea, which is why you got an antibiotic, to cut down the population to normal levels. My dog turned out to not handle high protein foods well and switching him over to a different, low protein, but high quality food has helped him a lot. Some stomachs- and Labs can especially have this- can't handle certain foods, either because of the protein content, protein source, allergies, or something else. If that doesn't work, I add pumpkin fiber to my dog's food to help as he still has lingering issues when he gets excited. Good luck!