Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

Malnourished and refusing to eat??

I recently rescued a dog who is highly malnourished, but the previous owner said he refused to eat. I've tried wet food and dry food and he won't eat. Any advice?

Best Answers

• DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Have you had him to the vet? If so, what tests were done and what did the vet say. How old is he? How long have you had him? What type of food have you tried to feed him, please be specific. Please ask this question on the health forum on this site. You can't answer back and forth on this part of this site.
  • Anya LetsonAnya Letson Posts: 611Member
    Accepted Answer
    To the vet! In the meantime, offer fluids. Try boiled chicken and white rice--the kind you have to cook for 45 min. If that doesn't work, try chicken broth.
  • Christine mcgowanChristine mcgowan Posts: 3Member
    Accepted Answer
    Has he begun eating by now? Sometimes they won't eat because they are anxious with a new environment. You can try mixing the wet with the dry. Eventually they do eat after a couple of days. If he doesn't then I would talk to a vet about it because it may be something more serious. You could also try different brands...some stores will let you return the food if your dogs does not do well on it. Good luck.
  • David WebsterDavid Webster Posts: 4Member
    Accepted Answer
    Get that dog to an emergency vet clinic immediately! There is probably a physical reason why the dog is refusing to eat. Not eating is the first sign that your dog is sick. He might need fluids if he is dehydrated from lack of water.

Comments

• MJ KFMJ KF Posts: 29Member
    How recently did you rescue him? If it was just in the past couple of days, he may be nervous and still adjusting to your home. But, considering he did not eat in his old home either, there may be an health problem. I would advise to take your dog to the vet ASAP.
  • Jen HJen H Posts: 4Member
    I volunteer at a shelter and many times they won't eat because they've been traumatized. Given his/her emancipated state, maybe it was abused?? Barring any medical problems, I've never had a shelter dog that won't take some chicken or a hotdog. And I always feed it from my hand to try and gain their trust and to comfort them.