Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

How can I help my mature, finicky, allergic, and obese cat lose weight?

My cat is a 9 year, 16 lbs domestic house cat that i rescued off the streets when she was only 2 months old. She gained a lot of weight due to free feeding at my mom's. At her heaviest she weighed 20 lbs. I switched her food and now limit the amount feed, no more free feeding. About 3 years ago she developed an allergy to the food i had her on. Found out she's allergic to chicken, and grains. She's also a finicky cat. I can feed her whatever dry food but her can food has to be sheba, or fancy feast seafood flavors. not the greatest. I've since put her on Instinct Rabbit formula and have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get her to eat the variety of wet food they offer since its grain and gluten free. she refuses to eat it. i know wet is better and it helps them lose the weight and maintain. but with her allergies i don't want to put her mainly on sheba. Just wanted to reach out for advice for helping her get back to a healthy weight. Thank you

Best Answers

• Universal WhispererUniversal Whisperer Posts: 595Member
    Accepted Answer
    Ask your vet's advice. Your vet should be able to recommend a diet that will meet your cat's needs. Also be aware that a cat must lose weight slowly. Too rapid weight loss can cause fatty liver disease in cats, which is very serious.
  • Shelby MeowShelby Meow Posts: 3Member
    Accepted Answer
    Hello! I did some research for you and I believe the dry food you should put your cat on is: *Wellness CORE Turkey, Turkey Meal & Duck Formula!* Wellness CORE brands are grain free, gluten free and wheat/corn free! My kittens are on the kitten formula dry & wet! They have been on THREE different foods within the 4&6 months they have been alive. Cats are weird about their food. They find something they like.. and they are stuck on it! What I do when changing food is: warm up a little bit of the new wet food (15/20secs) & leave their old food cold. This will make the new food more appealing to them. Mix them together on the bottom on the bowl.. then put a light layer of dry food over the wet food. So to get to the great new smell.. they have to go through the dry food. The wet food I would success trying is: *BLUE Freedom®-Flaked Grain-Free Fish Recipe.* They are on the pricey side, but if you are serious about wanting to change your cats life. I believe it would be worth it! Goodluck
  • Cindi LeonardCindi Leonard Plantation, Fla.Posts: 1,670Member
    Accepted Answer
    Rabbit is a unique protein, but that doesn't guarantee that your cat will like it. Try Salmon Grain Free Natural Choice cat food. They also have a duck, but salmon has a different taste that she might really like. Plus, the bags are made in Nutro's own plants in the US and are 100% satisfaction guaranteed or your $$ back. My guys eat the duck and they like it... ask your vet if other forms of poultry are okay before feeding them as a precaution, thanks! ^_^ --PNS for The Nutro Company, Franklin, TN