Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

what food do you prefer for your senior cat?

I'm looking to switch my 8y/o Reeses to a higher quality food. She has started to reject the dry food (diamond naturals active cat) I have been giving her and in a quick attempt to find some wet food to feed her that she will eat so she doesn't starve I got her some fancy feast. But I recently read that fancy feast is full of fillers. so I would like opinions on what wet foods you may feed your older cats?

Best Answer

• Tamanna KhareTamanna Khare Posts: 5Member
    Accepted Answer
    Older cats reduce the ability to digest fat and protein. As felines become older, their nutritional needs normally change and legitimate sustenance can add years to your feline's life and slow down the progression of many diseases. Prefer natural food diet for your cat because nutritious diet is essential to the health of your cat (source: http://www.petsworld.in/blog/natural-cat-food-diets.html).Avoid feeding generic or house brand because their low price dictates that their ingredients be low quality. Prefer mid priced cat food for your cat because they have better quality ingredients. Add more water to your cat diet because more water to its diet helps keep it trim and active.

Comments

• Samantha -Samantha - Posts: 2Member
    From my reading and courses I took in pet nutrition, I love Halo, Orijen, Soulistic, Taste of the Wild (a Diamond product, but their top line) and Natural Balance are all really good choices. I believe that Soulistic is really good for pickier cats, starting with the pouches and then moving towards the canned if you prefer. It's a great quality food that's easy on the wallet. They have a lot of seafood options at first glance, which can be bad to feed all the time, but they do offer chicken recipes as well. Putting it into rotation can help transition a cat into higher quality food as well. Natural Balance is also wonderful for picky kitties!
  • Hi there I feed Kodi science plan biscuits in the morning and is well recommended by pets at home staff. They do foods specific to your cats daily lifestyle. kodi in an indoor cat so he has Indoor food. I never leave food out either. I also give him a third of a tin of applaws with some biscuits in the evening. Its a natural food with no added crap. I try to get this when its on offer at Pets at Home. A lot of foods have corn in and fillers which aren't good. On the sanitary side I also put in his litter tray, Breeder Select biodegradable paper pellets rather than clay etc. The other litter dust can be inhaled and clog up the lungs. Hope this helps. kelly