How to convince my parents to get a shelter dog, and what should we get?

I am a 13 year old girl and I am at boarding school.This means that I would not get to see the dog as much, but it is having the dog in the holidays that counts. My whole family (me, my 10 year old brother, my mum, my dad) want a dog, although my dad is not particularly vocal about it. My mum is the one who would be responsible for the dog. She has depression and thinks that having a dog might also help. She sometimes helps out with a friends dog. She wants a dog that wouldn't be too prone to setting off allergies as she has mild ones. She also wants a dog that might help her get up and about without being to hard to cope with. Our house is a bit messy but we are trying to sort it out and our garden is medium sized with a 5 foot fence. We feel that a puppy might be to much of a handful and so a better behaved shelter dog might be right. As well as advice on how to convince them that a dog is the right thing for us, could people give advice on breeds/crosses that might suit us?

Best Answers

• James ReznikJames Reznik HillsboroughPosts: 7Member
    Accepted Answer
    Good luck on your quest. Dogs are great companions, they help in relieving stress, high blood pressure and depression, they are loyal, you always have someone to talk without being interrupted, they protect your family and property, etc. Do your home work online and make a list of all the pros and cons in owning a dog. The breed of the dog may not really matter, but I strongly recommend getting a dog from a actual shelter and not a breeder or virtual shelter. The last two are only in it for the money. Deciding factors: You is willing and able to train, feed, clean up, take to the vet, walk the dog, and mainly spending daily time with the dog. A unhappy dog with create behavior problems, barking, chewing on furniture, destroying house hold items, etc. (Time with the dog is a must) Is the dog going to be an inside dog and part of the family, which I suggest, or be a outside dog being tied up or kept in a cage. I’ve always gotten my dogs from actual shelters and great results with them. I think that mutts are easier to train and less of normal tics that pure breeds have. Good luck and do your home work, because own a dog is a major commitment and should be treated as a family member and not some stupid animal.
  • Alexander SongAlexander Song SeattlePosts: 18Member
    Accepted Answer
    Poodles are lively, easy-going, and don't shed or have any skin dander which means they are good for allergy suffers. They are also very easy to train, (since they are ranked #2 smartest dog, #1 is Border Collie) which means it wouldn't take alot of time or effort to teach her good manners. Poodle-mixes are also good. It concerns of the Goldendoodle (Golden Ret-Poodle mix [The one I have]), Labradoodle (Lab-Poodle mix), the Cockapoo (Cocker Spaniel-Poodle mix) and the Schnoodle (Schnauzer-Poodle mix). All of those mixes contain low skin dander and low shedding, and they have the lively temperaments of the Golden Retriever, Labrador, Cocker Spaniel, and Schnauzer. Good Luck! Hope you find a good suiting dog.

Comments

• natnatroswell22natnatroswell22 Posts: 41Member
    The best way to get a puppy is to beg for another baby brother or a baby sister— and they’ll settle for a puppy every time lol it's a stupid a idea but maybe it will work.