Large Breed Puppy Food

Hello,

We recently acquired a German Shepherd Labrador mix puppy, who is about 14 weeks old. The lady we got him from said she was feeding Purina Puppy Chow, mixed with Purina Dog Chow. She added to the bowl a little bit of wet food and some hot water. She stated it was because all her dogs ate out of the same bowl once they hit 12 weeks old. We went to the pet store before getting him to get him a proper sized collar, some toys, a crate etc. The pet store manager was telling us we needed to feed a large breed puppy food because what he was eating wasn't good enough. We were not happy with what he was being fed, but wanted to wean him to a new food slowly. I now need advice on a good food. He will be approximately a 80-90 pound dog. So do I need to feed large breed puppy, or will any puppy food do?

Thanks
Bradley Pooper's Mom

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 108,998Member ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest you ask your vet.   The pet food place is gonna try to sell you the most expensive item they can in order to make the most money.   Your Vet will give you better advice

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• Fluffy1893Fluffy1893 Posts: 8Member
    Thank you. We are taking him to the vet on Wednesday and I do plan on asking them that. I just worry that the vet will try to sell me their food. Anytime we have taken our cat to the vet they always "strongly encourage" us to feed him their prescription cat food, even though he doesn't like it. I worry that the vet will do the same with the dog.
  • Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 108,998Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt they will unless there is some health issue.   Prescription food is usually for pets that have and issue like allergies or other 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page