Dear Dogster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Dogster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Dogster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Dogster magazine, www.dogster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Dogster

OUR DOG DIED UNEXPECTEDLY. NEED SOME ANSWERS.

simonholgersensimonholgersen Posts: 4Member

Tuesday night the 13 of February we lost our beloved dog, Tilde. Tilde was a healthy 8-year-old West Highland Terrier. She was loved deeply by the whole family and it is one of the biggest losses I've ever experienced. It hurts deeply and I'm crying as I'm typing this post... But I really need some clarity, because it happened suddenly and was totally unexpected. 

Sunday the 11 of February everything was fine and Tilde was full of love and energy. She was enjoying a raw beef bone, nothing out of the usual. During the night Tilde started puking rapidly. My sister slept with her on the floor most of the night. 

The next morning we thought of what could have happened, and we came to the conclusion that she might have swallowed a piece of the bone. We went to the veterinary and they wanted to do an ultrasound scan on Tilde, but she needed to be fasted. Tilde's condition didn't get worse or better during Monday. 

Tuesday morning she was ready for the ultrasound scan. The veterinary could see the small piece of bone (1x1.5 inch) in her little stomach. The veterinary gave us the option of antibiotics treatment and surgery (they suggested surgery). We, of course, decided surgery. The veterinary told us that the procedure was very simple, but of course, it always includes some risks. The surgery went great. Later Tilde started getting fever and infection in her body. They treated her with antibiotics and fever relieving drugs (not what this is called). 

During the afternoon we spoke with the veterinary. He told us that Tilde was getting better and might even be able to come home the day after. We visited her at 5 pm. She was tired but we expected this. Later the veterinary called and told us that she might even come home to sleep. We were just so excited that everything went well, and our beloved dog would return in good shape.

At 19.50 the veterinary called. Tilde had died. We were shocked and still are! We were told that she died from DIC. Apparently, this is a really rare condition but is very lethal. I'm not sure what I expect from this post? I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge about this, or have experienced it themselves.

Love you Tilde. You will never be forgotten and will always be in our hearts.  

Simon

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 109,071Member ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so so so sorry... I had to google DIC, but sounds like a blood clot was the issue.   I can't give you any words of wisdom, but if it was a blood clot then most likely any type of surgery could have caused a problem.  Even something as simple as a tooth cleaning.   Losing one of pups is the hardest thing our pawrents face when they adopt us   It's especially hard when it is sudden.   Please don't blame yourself.. You did everything you could, but sometimes it just isn't enough.   Many many hugs to all of you 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• simonholgersensimonholgersen Posts: 4Member
    I had to google it too. Came to the same conclusion. I just hope she didn't suffer at all. We wish her so much
    Thank you so much
  • simonholgersensimonholgersen Posts: 4Member
    Miss*
  • Walker_AlexandriaWalker_Alexandria GoshenPosts: 207,616Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    @simonholgersen I am very sorry. Run free in the Heavenly sunshine sweet Tilde  <3

Walker and Alexandria Welcome Page

A hundred hearts would be to few to carry all my love for you.
    Author Unknown

• jaylow femjaylow fem Posts: 41Member ✭✭
    Dear Simon ,My heart goes out to you and your family. Unfortunatly 
    a blood clot is hard to detect if it goes undetected or could of developed after surgery but from what I understand you don’t really suffer I know that doesn’t mean much right now but just know that your Tilde knew how much she was loved she was made to feel love and she had it with you guys so please know that she does know you did your best to help her. Take care to the family of Tilde Rest In Peace sweetheart  <3