New House-New Barking

aglennthaglennth Posts: 3Member
So we (my Fiancè, myself and our dog Ava) recently moved into a new house. We previously lived in an apartment and Ava slept in our bedroom, in a crate (lack of space and she seemed to like to see us when she slept). We initially got her in that apartment, she got accustomed to the apartment and sleeping where she could see us. Fast forward to our house move. We’ve kept her on the same schedule the only difference is that her crate is now downstairs and not upstairs in our bedroom. We take her for long walks and exercise her constantly. She’s only in the crate to sleep at night and when we are at work (our schedules overlap so she’s typically spending 5-6 hours in the crate during the weekdays). 

She’s now taken to barking/whining at night when we crate her, which we totally ignore and she stops and falls asleep. The bigger issue is her barking and whining in the morning. She’s usually up barking over two hours before she typically gets up (based on the schedule we’ve been on for over a year). We know it’s attention barking because as soon as she hears us moving around upstairs or coming downstairs she stops. I’m currently sitting near her crate and she can’t see me but hasn’t barked in over 40 minutes. I’m concerned about her barking in the morning to wake us up. I’m assuming this is just because she’s not used to these new surroundings and may have developed a touch of separation anxiety. Any advice on how to deal with the barking in the morning would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 108,095Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does she no longer sleep in your room.  Dogs are pack animals, they are not meant to spend a lot of time alone.   Seems to me if you get a second crate. One upstairs for bed time and one downstairs for daytime use she would be happier and thus no more barking or crying. 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• aglennthaglennth Posts: 3Member
    We did decide to move her into our room and so far so good. We realized having her in our room wasn't an issue and since she can see us she's kept the whining to a minimum unless she really does need to go outside or be let out. 
  • Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 108,095Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay.  Glad it all worked out.   Give her a pat from us :)

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page