Going across country

carolyn macneilcarolyn macneil Posts: 2Member
edited 29 March, 2015 in Dogs & Travel
Hi, I am relocating from Boston to Seattle soon and am having a lot of trouble trying to decide what is best for my dog Sofi. I am quite anxious about putting her in the cargo hold of a plane (she is 45#). Another choice is to find some land transportation while I fly out(I think that will be too expensive). Or to drive out myself with her. In that case I would have to buy a different vehicle than I have now and drive on my own in possibly bad winter weather. My question is do I really need to be worried about putting her on an airplane? I would be devastated if anything happened to her.

Comments

• DeaDea NHPosts: 7,176Member ✭✭✭
    edited 29 March, 2015
    I just saw this. I hope its not too late to post. Incase anyone needs a ride to transport, I found this website. www.wingsofrescue.org Looks interesting and maybe it could help a few of you. Good Luck!
  • Rosemary_DowellRosemary_Dowell Posts: 1Member
    In general airlines are super careful with transporting pets in cargo. Of course there are worrying stories, but they are not the norm.  Although still heartbreaking for the owners who lost a pet. And the thought of it happening is gut wrenching. But a lot has been improved over the years. Many airlines have a summer heat embargo and cold restrictions too where ground temp is 45 fahrenheit or lower. This is because the tarmac can heat up the cargo hold and many airlines don't have AC facilities for transporting pets.

For temps lower than 45 some airlines will accept acclimation certificates if the pets are thick or long coated. Also, as a rule, I believe from chatting to pet travel companies when arranging transport for my dogs, that there's a limit of 11 hours of flying time for pets. So all in all, I think airlines are a safe a fast way to travel. In your case, flying is roughly 6 hours. Where driving the trip from Boston to Seattle would take over 45 hours - which I'd imagine is stressful for both driver and pooch.

As long as you follow the requirements for air travel with your dog, you should both be safe and get to your destination with the least amount of stress.

For anyone who's looking for crate to air travel with their dogs, I've put together detailed reviews of the best and worst dog crates for air travel based on my own research.

It's always a good idea to check the requirements with the specific airline you're planning to use. Unfortunately, there's not an industry standard as yet, each airline has it's own requirements.