Walking

A question to the audience. I have a 2 years old female swiss shepherd. She is a sociable dog but can also be anxious and, for example, is very afraid of umbrellas making walks in the rain difficult. She has a tendency not to listen to commands from other people and can run away, which she has done a few times but rarely with me. I am extremely uncomfortable with other family or friends taking her for walks, because I am worried about potential accidents if she ran off. As I know her triggers better than others I feel it should only be me walking her. My boyfriend doesn’t agree with my approach and tells me the dog is not becoming accustomed to being with others, and says I am overly anxious. He wants to start walking the dog alone. Should I let him?
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 109,004Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell him he can walk her, but have you trail behind so that you can see how she behaves with him.   You would have to do it in such a way so that she does not know you are there.   Maybe follow in a car or something.   That way you are close if something happens, and if there are no issues then you will know it is ok for him to take her out alone. 

Also do you use a harness or just a collar.   A harness would make it a lot harder for her to get away and if she does get loose would make it easier in catching her. 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born