Training my 10 week old puppy.

MistoMisto Posts: 3Member
So I just got a new puppy and I want to start training her but I don’t want to teach her with treats as a reward and she doesn’t understand a toy as a reward and she’s doesn’t know what good girl means yet. I’ve taught my other dogs on treats and they don’t obey anymore without it. I don’t want my puppy to think she gets a treat everytime I need her to do something. What do I do???

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 108,969Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use treats, but not every time.   do a command give her a treat.  Do another command and give her a scratch in her favorite spot.   give her a command and a treat them a command and then say good girl.   using treat works good, but they need to not expect one for every command. 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• MistoMisto Posts: 3Member
    Thank you. She is already learning fast! I sometimes give her a treat and then I reward her with praise at the same time so I think she understand what good girl means now and I’ve started also giving her toys as a reward and she seems to understand that better now too because she listens to my commands and then gets excited when I grab a toy and praise her. She’s doing so well. She is sitting on command. I’m still working on lay down. I will be working on stay soon too.
  • MistoMisto Posts: 3Member
    I’ve also taught her to look at me even when she hears a distraction just so that when I’m training her she keeps her attention on me. She’s doing very good on that one as well.