How Do I go about finding a reputable Shih-Tzubreeder who lives near me?

I am not sure what a backyard breeder is. I have been lucky enough to find my ShihTzus through people that had a litter. They weren't really 'breeders" per se, I found them in the classifieds of the newspaper (remember those?), but that was over 25 years ago when I lived in Houston. I live in the Boulder, Colorado area now, and want to get another Shih Tzu puppy soon. But have no idea where to start.

I just watched some videos on the CAPS website, which Keystone Puppies had a link to to make it seem they were reputable... My heart is broken. Those people should get treated that way themselves and deal with their fate, but alas our legal system is failing our four-legged friends still.

I did a search on the AKC site and no Shih Tzu babies came up. I guess not a lot of people want to go through that to breed. What to do? This seems daunting and like a good breeder is hard to find on my own. Any advice and guidance is much appreciated. Thanks all!
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 108,998Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a family member and not one for breeding try sites like petfinder.com.    Lots of animals given up are purebred.   Most of these types of sites allow you to input breed, sex and age.   

good luck in your search 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born