Has any one ever seen a solid black min pin like the one i have?

Betsy RamirezBetsy Ramirez Houston, Texas!Posts: 12Member
I got him from a breeder and i know he's full breed because i saw his mom(black and rust) and dad(stag red) but he was the last one left from his brothers and sisters. What are the possibilites of getting a solid black min pin?

Best Answers

• Vivian AbelloVivian Abello West Palm Beach, FLPosts: 418Member
    Accepted Answer
    Looking at your dog I think either the breeder was a BYB or they were not purebred. Min Pins do not look like that. It is a mix. Not only because of the color but the body, head, ears and face are not that of a purebred quality dog. My guess it is a mix but since I did not see the mom and dad it could just be a really bad breeder that does not breed for quality but rather profit. Google Min Pin, aside from the color yours is very different and not showing quality traits of a purebred dog.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysPosts: 15,800Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm no authority on MinPins, but he looks purebred to me. The color is all that seems off to me. This may or may not be be from a BYB, I'd have to hear more about the breeder to determine that. I don't know enough about MinPins, their breed standard, or how much a pet quality MinPin may vary from the standard and what BYB MinPins tend to look like, to help as much as a MinPin owner. Wish that I could help more. He's a beautiful dog. Enjoy him.
  • Chris & Brian CrawfordChris & Brian Crawford Posts: 1,879Member
    Accepted Answer
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the poster before me. I think your breeder lied to you about the puppy. Genetically, it is not possible for a stag red sire and a black and rust dam to produce a solid black puppy. This dam and this sire can only produce stag red and black and rust puppies. There's record of a great many unusual colors for purebred MinPins including merle, fawn, and even brindle, but not one solid black one. I would have to say that the sire of your pup is very likely not the one you were shown, and that he was very likely sired by a dog of a different breed. I would like to see a "dog show" style photo of Mickey standing, all four paws on the ground, head to tail, taken level with him (not top down) to evaluate structure. Looking at the head/muzzle alone, I would say not purebred MinPin.
  • Ashley FosterAshley Foster Arizona / AlaskaPosts: 863Member
    Accepted Answer
    This is what the AKC says is allowable for colors of the Min-Pin: Solid clear red. Stag red (red with intermingling of black hairs). Black with sharply defined rust-red markings on cheeks, lips, lower jaw, throat, twin spots above eyes and chest, lower half of forelegs, inside of hind legs and vent region, lower portion of hocks and feet. Black pencil stripes on toes. Chocolate with rust-red markings the same as specified for blacks, except brown pencil stripes on toes. In the solid red and stag red a rich vibrant medium to dark shade is preferred. Disqualifications -Any color other than listed. Thumb mark (patch of black hair surrounded by rust on the front of the foreleg between the foot and the wrist; on chocolates, the patch is chocolate hair). White on any part of dog which exceeds one-half inch in its longest dimension. A Min Pin should have the same color patterns as a Doberman. Does your dog have papers? It seems to me that your 'breeder' was not very honest with you here...
  • Heather BartonHeather Barton San FranciscoPosts: 1Member
    Accepted Answer
    We just adopted a solid black min pin and I say he's beautiful! Everything about him is min pin quality, down to his personality so I think it's possible. As far as genetics, there are always homozygous recessive traits that can show up one out of a million dogs (if you remember genetics from college)? The solid black may have been bred out years ago, but some genes never fully get eradicated! We have one in a million dogs. Good job!

Comments

• alovespalovesp Posts: 1Member
    A purebred black min pin is always due to a genetic mutation called melanism. It causes the dogs skin and fur to overproduce melanin a pigmentation in the skin and fur. This cause the dog to be all black