At my wits end with these 2 puppies

GPC2012GPC2012 Posts: 9Member

I have had dogs most of my life.  mixed breed, beagles chihuahua's, more mixed breed, and finally these two.  Shadowbell and Mr. Jaxx.  These two are siblings, but you wouldn't know it to look at them.  Shadow is 7.5 lbs and Jaxx is 12+ lbs.  They given to me by a very nice lady.  I met their mom and dad. They are full blooded Chihuahuas.  These two however look like maybe a pit bull jackrussell terrier mix got in the yard and got her.  They are socialized and very friendly very loving and affectionate, but the two problems I have is on the leash I just can't get them to settle down and walk they want to run and strain at the leash. 

The biggest problem is house training.  I'm 62 years old and have potty trained all my dogs.  These two just won't.  In the beginning I took them out every hour more or less.  I figured the incidents to be accidents.  Now they will go to the door and set up like they do when I give them a treat to ask to go outside.  I let them out they stay anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes come back in the house and within 5 minutes both will go pee  and defecate .  I try to catch them in the act scold and take back out.  Over and over.  They are now 6 months old and it just seems to be getting work

Any advice is welcome.  Please no sales pitches for expensive training courses or painful devices to aid in the training.

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 109,004Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will they go on a news paper.   You may have to paper train them first then move the paper outside to show them that is where they need to go.    You may also have to go out with the to watch and not let them in til they actually go.   If you can't be out with them you may have to see if you can have someone else go out with them.  Whenever they do go potty outside give them lots of praise and treats so that they will understand going outside is fun and not just a chore. 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

• GPC2012GPC2012 Posts: 9Member
    I left that out.  We tried news paper, they would drag it around the house but only after wetting onit of course.  We tried training pads and they would eat them.  We even tried a litter box at the suggestion of someone here.  They would eat the liter so we went to plain sand.  Same thing.  I've never been so frustrated in my life.  I've always been able to train my pups.  As it is they set, sit up. come and oh yeah I can let them kiss a doggie treat from my lips.  They are so gentle and careful when they do it  Sometimes I think they are just smarter than me lol
  • Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 109,004Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like they are being stubborn.    As I said... you may simply have to take the out and stay out with them til they do their duty before you let them back in.   I know its hard when the weather is bad, but I don't know any other way 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page