Separation Anxiety

Hi!
I have a 5 month old springer spaniel named Eddie, he's an awesome dog. He comes when called, sits, stays, lies down, is the coolest cucumber I've met. He's a family dog, and we all take part in looking after him. I've noticed lately that he is becoming really attached to me. Don't get me wrong, I love that he's doing that, I just feel like it might get out of hand. At night, usually I go to bed early, and he'll lie down outside my door and go to sleep, rather than with the family in the living room. He'll follow me around the house wherever I go, and he howls when I leave for school. He's not destructive, yet. I love him with all of my heart, I just don't want him to agonize over me leaving him. Over the Holidays, we hired a really nice pet sitter to look after him for two weeks while he was away, which might have sparked this anxiety.

Previously, we had a dog who suffered from severe separation anxiety, as well as numerous other health problems, and I really wanted to know what I could do stop him from getting separation anxiety before it becomes a big problem.

Thanks!

Comments

• Sandy_Kramer_etcSandy_Kramer_etc BangorPosts: 108,998Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trick to breaking a dog of separation anxiety is usually to go out for very short periods of time.. then slowly increase the amount of time.  Not sure if that will help or not.  Mostly he needs to understand that you are always going to come back.    Hope you can figure it out.    (* hugs *) to you both 

No Longer Lost BOL

Sandy aka Thumper
    Sandy's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born

Kramers-Corner
    Kramer's Archived page
    We celebrate my birthday and Gotcha Day on Jan 3 though we do not know when I was born