Car sick dog...and meds.

Mindy MalletteMindy Mallette Posts: 24,408Member
edited 15 March, 2011 in Dog Health
I'll check with the vet, of course - but just for the moment, can anyone advise me on dosage of benadryl or dramamine for a dog with car sickness issues? We have an upcoming required road trip of about 6 hours. He can last maybe an hour before he starts to barf. This could turn into an unpleasant ride! He is 3 years old and fit. Weighs about 80 lbs. Any experience you can share? Tips?

Comments

• Claire RobisonClaire Robison Oregon CityPosts: 4,926Member
    edited 12 March, 2011
    GINGER! Works better than meds, is cheaper, and safer. I used to be a skeptic, but I just hadn\'t used enough ginger. Commercial ginger cookies may not be gingery enough. I made up a batch of homemade dog biscuits (peanut-ginger-garlic flavored. dogs loved them) to give to Bruno before car rides, and so far so good! No vomiting. He normally is terribly carsick, I can count on him vomiting at least once on car trips over an hour. Another recipe I\'ve tried is mixing powdered ginger with peanut butter, water, and sugar (makes a gooey paste) and spreading that on crackers. Worked great. Powdered ginger is more concentrated and easier to mix into things than fresh or candied ginger, but they could work too, if your dog will eat it. I\'m even thinking of making a lot more of my ginger biscuits and selling them, they worked so well and every dog who\'s tried them liked them. Is anyone else selling something like that?
  • Mindy MalletteMindy Mallette Posts: 24,408Member
    edited 12 March, 2011
    terrific idea. I am going to test this out over the next week or so! I would MUCH rather dose him with something like this than meds. How big is Bruno? How much do you use?
  • J LJ L Posts: 979Member
    edited 12 March, 2011
    Hey Bruno, could you give us an idea of how much ginger? I hid some little chunks of fresh ginger in some pieces of banana before a car ride once, and she puked anyway. Maybe it wasn't enough? We've also used Benadryl ... 1 mg per pound, so we used a little under 2 pills (25 mg each) because she is 40 lbs.
    edited 12 March, 2011
    I think fresh ginger isn\'t absorbed as well... Hazel, did you give the ginger right before driving, or give it some time to absorb first? I gave it to Bruno 20 minutes before leaving, to be on the safe side. Bruno weighs 50 lbs. I think I got between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of powdered ginger in him, and then went for a 2 hour drive. No puke! (oh, I forgot to say in my first post, I microwaved the peanut butter/water/ginger/sugar paste to make it easier to mix and spread.) With the biscuits, I\'m not really sure how much it was. I was kind of experimenting, and just dumped the whole bottle of ginger in the batter. (so here\'s my fuzzy math) approx. 1/2 cup ginger powder (8 tablespoons) into 32 biscuits, I gave him two biscuits and it seemed to work, so that would be... 1/2 a tablespoon then? I\'m still working out how reliable this is, will have to do more testing. (going places in an old rattley car, with a carsick dog, and on winding country roads... hmmm...:-k ) I remember on Mythbusters they tested ginger as an anti-nausea treatment, and it worked amazingly well for them. I think they used capsules. I don\'t think you can overdose on it, so maybe try to feed Samoa as much of it as he can stand, to be on the safe side?
  • J LJ L Posts: 979Member
    edited 12 March, 2011
    Thanks, Bruno. I did give it to her about 20 minutes before the ride, but I think you are right that it's not easy to digest. I didn't grind it or anything, I just cut off little chunks of fresh ginger which are probably about as indigestible for dogs as any other plant material. I do have powdered ginger from the Indian store! I'll definitely try that next time, mixed with peanut butter!
    edited 12 March, 2011
    If I mix it in peanut butter he will think he is in heaven! Thanks for the advice!
  • M BenkeM Benke Posts: 581Member
    edited 13 March, 2011
    I used Bonine with my extremely carsick dog. It metabolizes better for them. Sen was about 60-65# and she got one pill. Dramamine never worked for her, but the bonine worked wonders!
  • Rebekah WardRebekah Ward Central IndianaPosts: 208Member
    edited 14 March, 2011
    SpeaKing from personal (human) experience, Ginger works great for stomach ailments. I once ate too many raw radishes and had a horrible case of indigestion, that nothing would relieve. It was the holidays, and my mom had made some homemade Ginger snaps, and suggested I eat a couple. I did, and had almost instant relief. On another occasion, I was nauseous, and felt like crap. I brewed a cup of green tea, and added ground Ginger and honey too it. Once again, almost instant relief. Its great to know it works for our dogs as well!! :)
  • Pam LaVignePam LaVigne Posts: 5,251Member
    edited 14 March, 2011
    I have 2 Akitas and both get carsick. 3-4 gingersnaps each about 30min. before we leave always does the trick.Also a last feedingat least 2hr. before we start the trip seems to give them less to throw-up if they do get sick. Good Luck!
    edited 14 March, 2011
    I am going to give Samoa several ginger cookies with a peanut butter, ground ginger filling. I shudder at the thought of it NOT working because that will be incredibly vile on the return, but I have faith! And at least he will love the treats enough to forgive me for making him ride in the car for so long!
    edited 14 March, 2011
    just in case... towels and seat covers are your friends... I keep a roll of paper towels in the car at all times for Bruno-puke. (and other uses.)
    edited 14 March, 2011
    Unfortunately, I am almost as weak stomached as Samoa. I will have to resort to the "cover and deal with later" or else I am likely to join him in his barfitude.
  • M BenkeM Benke Posts: 581Member
    edited 14 March, 2011
    I would suggest putting down a trash bag as well; line the area he's going to be in with plastic. Trust me. Then layer it with a blanket or towels.
    edited 14 March, 2011
    I was thinking "Tarp" covered with blankets and towels. And knocking the back seat down so that the whole cargo area can be lounged around on.
  • Elizabeth AbramsElizabeth Abrams Posts: 3,634Member
    edited 14 March, 2011
    B vitamins (B2, B6, and pantothenic acid) will help with nausea, and vit C will help with the stress- start a week before the car. Ginger (as mentioned) and peppermint also are good for nausea. You've probably heard of Bach's rescue remedy before, sometimes it helps for car sickness also, also other of Bach's flower remedies that will help are Aspen, Elm, Scleranthus, and Vervain mixed (2 drops every 2 hours) You can buy them at Whole Foods.
  • Caitlin JonesCaitlin Jones Posts: 1,317Member
    edited 14 March, 2011
    Nothing helpful...but I just want to say I'm (Angel's mom) jealous of anyone who likes ginger. I can't stand it...it turns my stomach instantly. Don't like gingersnaps or ginger ale...and fresh ginger is out of the question. I always have to hammer it into people's heads when I order sushi...NO ginger...not even in the box...if it even TOUCHES the sushi I'll know. One time when I went out to a sushi restaurant they didn't believe me. I got to the pieces of the roll they just took the ginger off the plate...and it all came back up. :r I don't think I've ever been so mortified in my life. We got a sincere apology and everyone got their food for free but I don't think it was worth the embarrassment. :(
  • Allison RubinoAllison Rubino Posts: 130Member
    edited 14 March, 2011
    So glad to hear of ginger remedies! We tried Dramamine on our last trip and Riley didn't respond so well to it - heart racing, quick breaths...we will try the ginger next time for sure.
    edited 14 March, 2011
    I suppose this is obvious, but you probably shouldn\'t feed him anything else before the trip, that should make the ginger more effective and also reduce nausea from a full stomach. (And isn\'t ginger cookie vomit better than kibble or raw meat vomit if it doesn\'t work, anyway? :)) )
  • Elizabeth AbramsElizabeth Abrams Posts: 3,634Member
    edited 14 March, 2011
    Haha I missed the ginger cookie reply-not good and probably not enough potency of ginger. Fast from water too!!
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston Posts: 7,527Member
    edited 14 March, 2011
    Wanted to suggest, he might actually do better with the seats up so he has a smaller area. If he has a larger area he has more area to wobble in, thus a feeling of seasickness? When I get carseat it always helps to have something solid to smash my face into, he might do better having something to lean on to steady him.
    edited 15 March, 2011
    Was going to flap seats down to make room for the crowd - three pups, will travel! But it is a split seat, so I could put on side down and leave the other seat shaped, so he can sit there if it suits him better. If I leave the wide side up, it should leave him room to lie down.
  • emhosulashi137emhosulashi137 Posts: 2Member

When all else fails, Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) -- the same drug people take to ward off car sickness -- also works for pets. Medium to large dogs should be given 25 to 50 milligrams of Dramamine at least an hour before traveling in a car, cats and small dogs should get about 12.5 milligrams.